Police searching for a missing man with links to Dumbarton and the Vale have been speaking to members of the public in Glasgow, six months on from his disappearance.

Samuel Townsley was last seen on Union Street on October 19, 2016, when he was stopped by police.

The 28-year-old, who is a member of Scotland's large traveller community, has not been heard from since.

Officers re-visited the place of the last confirmed sighting on Wednesday to appeal for information, reported our sister paper, the Evening Times.

Speaking on Union Street, Chief Inspector Brian Shaw, area commander for North Ayrshire, said: "We are here today to mark six months since the disappearance of Samuel Townsley.

"While we've had a number of unconfirmed sightings of Samuel, this remains the last place I can say with 100 per cent confidence that he was here.

"We are seeking the public's assistance to provide any information which they believe might be relevant to track him down."

It is known that Samuel entered the premises of Rebel Rebel barbers to use the toilet, before he was stopped by police due to the fact he was wearing shorts and t-shirt.

He is known to live a chaotic lifestyle and has travelled extensively throughout the West of Scotland but frequently visits Dumbartonshire, Grangemouth, Falkirk, Clydebank and Glasgow City Centre.

He has no fixed address - despite living in Clydebank as recently as last summer - and does not possess a mobile phone.

It is common for Samuel to go for periods of time without being in contact with his family but they have become increasingly worried due to the length of time he has been out of touch.

His sister Ann Margaret Allan, 32, spoke at a press conference at Dumbarton police station earlier this year.

She described Samuel as being "distinctive" with a short, stocky build and confident "swagger".

She said: "I spoke to him on the phone two days before he was last seen and he was very up and down.

"One minute he was happy and laughing and the next he sounded really sad.

"I was worried about him and told him to phone me the next day so we could arrange to meet up in Glasgow but I haven't heard from him since.

"He's someone who stands out. He smiles at everyone he walks by and is just a lovely guy.

"He has some marks on his forehead due to an incident where he broke his neck."

Anyone with information should contact officers at Irvine Police Station through 101.