Two early goals in three minutes within the first quarter hour of the final at Broadwood Stadium saw Dumbarton Academy FP lift the William Turner Cup and round off a fine week in which they also secured the league title.

given they secured the league title early in the week. Accies were clearly in the mood and an early Andrew MacDonald shot from a free kick signalled their intent in Friday night’s showdown - although the shot went over the bar.

But while McDonald’s shot went over the bar, they didn’t have to wait long to bag their first goal.

On 13 minutes Accies took the lead when an excellent cross-field pass by Alan Sweeney to Tom McHard then saw McHard produce a fine volley to leave Uni keeper Andrew Smith with no chance.

But Accies supporters were just settling back into their seats when their team went two goals ahead. Conor McGlinchey produced a great cross which Allan MacPherson headed home.

Uni had an early opportunity to reduce the deficit, Diogenis Sergides sent in a corner that Donald Thomson headed over Accies’ bar. Thomson then saw an ambitious effort from 35 yards go wide.

On the half hour a good move between McGlinchey, MacPherson and McHard saw the ball arrive at MacDonald. The forward produced a shot which was narrowly off target. McHard then saw a deflected shot hit the side netting. Half time - 2:0 Accies has two shouts for penalties early in the second half, both correctly refused by referee Ross Holms.

In the second half, McGlinchey enjoyed some success beating Robbie Smith wide on the right. He then sent in a cross, which McHard headed wide. Uni’s Lewis Dibble sent in a 20 yard shot from a free kick that went high and wide. With twenty minutes to go Accies Marcus Dooley that narrowly went wide.

Accies’ rearguard defended well and limited Uni to long range shots that failed to trouble McGillivray to any great extent. Full time - 2:0 Accies would like to thank the large travelling support who came to support their team, their vocal support was appreciated. The club would also like to thank the Bay Inn, Bowling for hosting the after-match celebrations. The celebrations went onwards to the Backroom in Balloch - again the team would like to thank the Backroom staff for aiding an enjoyable night.

Dumbarton Academy FP AFCAndrew McGillivray, Marcus Dooley, Alan Sweeney, Kenneth Wilson, Craig Cavana, Jack Buchanan (capt), Conor McGlinchey, Alan Nicholson, Tom McHard, Allan MacPherson, Andrew MacDonaldSubs: Callum Shipcott, Martin Grindlay (g/k), Colin MacPhee, Andrew Burton, David Goodwin, Ryan Banks, Connor O’Donoghue, Ian Davie, Graeme McBride Glasgow UniversityAndrew Smith, Calum Windram, Robbie Smith, Neil Moffat, Conor Morgan, Diogenis Sergides, Lesley Goettermann, Colin Granger, Donald Thomson, Calum Davidson, Lewis DibbleSubs: Alexander Blair, Euan Small, Andrew Hume, Leon Hay, Scott Granger, Referee Ross Holms Assistant RefereesChris BonnarMichael BonnarJim Cowie Earlier in the week, Accies had secured the Premier Division league title in style with a 3-0 win over a good Giffnock team.and scoring a couple of good goals that were worth of such an occasion. An early Allan MacPherson corner was deep and arrived at Andrew MacDonald. The forward returned the ball into the danger area and Tom McHards header hit the outside of the bar and the post and went wide. Giffnock were clearly in no mood just to let Accies stroll to the title and were competing well. Jason Cassidy saw a shot flash wide. A couple of Giffnock corners had Accies rearguard of Marcus Dooley, Craig Cavana and Kenny Wilson working hard. Austin Reid saw a header go over Accies bar whilst under pressure.Accies took the lead on the half hour as as an Allan MacPherson pass released Andrew MacDonald beyond the Giffnock defence.

MacDonald’s left foot shot was saved by Alexander Burke, however, the keeper was unable to hold the ball and Tom McHard bundled it home from six yards, despite Mark Murney’s efforts to block.

Murney claimed McHard had fouled him to reach the ball, however referee Craig Nicoletti allowed the goal to stand. Half time - 1:0 The game followed a similar pattern in the second half to that of the first. Allan MacPhersons corner was met by Craig Cavana. Cavana rather awkwardly directed the ball towards goal and saw the ball bounce of the post and then get scrambled clear. Various further opportunities came Accies way, but went unrewarded through good blocks and saves from the Giffnock rearguard. Giffnock’s Cassidy saw a 20 yard free kick saved well by Accies keeper Andrew McGillivray, the keeper did well to hold the shot as onrushing players would likely have scored any rebound. Giffnocks James McPherson then saw a shot go wide. An excellent piece of individual skill in the second half saw Accies go 2-0 up and effectively seal the match and the title as MacDonald 20-yard free kick found the top corner of the net to the delight of the sizeable watching Accies supporters.

Giffnock’s Ian Findlay then saw red. Ref Nicoletti then had little option, but to send off Giffnock’s Ian Findlay for an off-the-ball lunge at Alan Nicholson. Nicholson then saw a shot saved superbly by Burke. Midfielder Nicholson had the last word though scoring with virtually the last kick of the ball. Full time - 3:0 Dumbarton Academy FP AFCAndrew McGillivray, Marcus Dooley, Craig Cavana, Kenneth Wilson, Graeme McBride, Jack Buchanan, Alan Nicholson, Allan MacPherson, Andrew MacDonald, Tom McHard, Alan SweeneySubs: Callum Shipcott, David Porter (g/k), Andrew Burton, Colin MacPhee, Conor McGlinchey, David Goodwin Giffnock North AFCAlastair Burke, Christopher Agnew, Anton McGrotty, Mark Murney, Jack Orr, Ian Findlay, Austgin Reid, Jason Cassidy, Jason Rae, James McPherson, Serge MakofoSubs: Luke Running, Ross McDonald, Gary Sweeney, Garry Dickson, Stephen Fitzpatrick Referee Craig Nicoletti