A MAN attacked a dog with a baseball bat with such ferocity it broke over the animal’s back, a has court heard.

David Kerr, 28, pleaded guilty at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last Tuesday to causing the boxer dog unnecessary suffering by repeatedly striking it.

The incident happened at the water’s edge at Balloch Park at Loch Lomond on July 6 this year.

Kerr, whose address was given in court as a prisoner of HMP Greenock, also admitted behaving in a threatening manner by brandishing the bat, shouting, swearing and making threats of violence.

Prosecutor Kevin Doherty told Sheriff Simon Pender Kerr appeared in private at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on August 8 when bail was refused.

The depute fiscal went on: “Kerr had been at Balloch Park and was at the waters edge near the play park. It was at 4pm and there were a number of people around including a woman and a boxer dog which was off its lead.

“The boxer came into contact with Kerr’s American bull terrier and they began fighting. Kerr began to hit the boxer repeatedly across the back with a baseball bat to such an extent the bat snapped in half.

"There had been several blows inflicted. The woman was shouting for Kerr to stop. He turned round and shouted at the woman ‘shut up you fat cow or you’re getting it’.

"He then began to brandish the baseball bat towards her and said he was going to drown her. Kerr was heavily under the influence of drink. Police arrived and he was arrested.”

Kerr’s lawyer told the court: “He recognises the position he is in. He and a female friend had taken the train from Partick to Balloch. He had been using the baseball bat to play rounders, he didn’t take it as a weapon.

“His position was his dog was being attacked by the other dog. It was a large dog and only suffered a scratch to its neck.”

The boxer, it was revealed later, suffered a laceration to its face and bruising to its back.

The lawyer added: “He regrets lashing out at the dog.”

Sheriff Pender told Kerr: “This is a serious matter given your criminal record.”

Kerr was jailed for two months on one charge and 16 months on the other, to run concurrently and backdated to August 1.

Scottish SPCA Chief Superintendent Mike Flynn said: “We are delighted that the court is taking serious action against deliberate acts of animal cruelty such as this.

“Hopefully Kerr has taken time to reflect on his actions and the unnecessary suffering he caused the dog.

“This case really highlights the importance of keeping your dog under control when in public.”