A BONHILL man who left a police officer so badly injured he needed a CT scan has been spared a prison sentence.

Martin Connelly attacked two cops at a house in Pappert, repeatedly punching one on the head and repeatedly punching and kicking the other on both the head and body.

The 35-year-old carried out the vicious assault after the two constables went to the property on January 4.

He appeared at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last Wednesday for sentencing after pleading guilty to two charges of assault.

Prosecutor Martina McGuigan told the court: “He approached one officer and punched him. The officer lost his footing and fell onto his knees.

“He continued to punch the officer. The constable tried to take hold of Connelly but was unable to do so and was struck on the head by his fist.

“[Connelly] continued to assault the police officer. He then began to kick him as he tried to get back to his feet.

“He walked towards the other officer and punched him on the side of the head as he was radioing for urgent back-up.”

The court heard that one of the injured constables suffered a cut to his right eye, heavy bruising to his head and recurring severe headaches afterwards.

Ms McGuigan said the officer had to undergo a CT scan and was off duty for five days as a result of the brutal attack.

The other cop suffered bruising and swelling to his left eye and swelling to his left ear.

Defence lawyer Jonathan Paul said: “He recognises it was appalling behaviour, especially with two police officers going around carrying out their lawful duty.

“He has a lack of a criminal record, with just one previous minor incident.

“On this day things spiralled out of control. When he was told, he couldn’t believe that it was actually him who carried this out.”

Sheriff William Gallacher said: “This was a dreadfully serious incident. Your behaviour was deplorable.

“You got involved in a prolonged attack which caused significant injuries, although you have little by way of a criminal background.”

Connelly was put on a community payback order, with supervision by social workers for 18 months and 250 hours of unpaid work.