A DRUNKEN dog owner whose Japanese Akita mauled and injured two family pets and a member of the public told onlookers that he “didn’t give a f***” about what had happened.

Paul Black’s pet attacked a Bichon Frise dog in Bonhill in July before pouncing on a German pointer terrier just five days later.

Police called to the second incident found Black lying on a grass verge with his trousers around his ankles when they arrived at the scene.

Black was locked up for three and a half months when he appeared at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on Wednesday, November 21, after pleading guilty to a charge under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Prosecutor Colin Wilson said: “The first incident happened at 10pm on July 20, when a witness was walking his dog Alfie, a Bichon Frise, on Beechwood Drive when he saw a tan coloured Japanese Akita coming towards him with its owner, who was, as he described it, ‘heavily intoxicated’, or on drugs.

“The dog lunged at Alfie. It pinned Alfie to the ground with its two front paws. [The Bichon Frise’s owner] tried to rescue his dog, but suffered a scratch himself, leaving him bleeding heavily.

“Black did nothing to stop his dog, didn’t assist in any way, and quickly made off.”

The Bichon Frise was taken to an animal hospital suffering from four wounds, one of them described as “serious”, which cost its owner £600 to treat.

Moving on to the second incident on July 25, Mr Wilson said: “At 10am a woman was walking her German pointer terrier, Abbey, in Bonhill, near to Braehead.

“She saw a member of the public, who turned out to be Black, walking a large Akita. He appeared to be intoxicated. The Akita was acting aggressively.

“She carried on walking home, but saw the accused stumbling around.

“The Akita, which was on a lead, ran towards Abbey. The dog was not under control and lunged towards the woman’s dog, pounced on Abbey, and took hold of her neck.

“Her son ran out to help. The dog was left suffering injuries to chest and neck with several puncture wounds. The boy questioned Black, and his response was ‘I don’t give a f***.’

“His mother was in a state of stress and shock and was extremely upset. Police were contacted and the accused was found lying on a grass verge with his trousers at his ankles. The Akita was taken away by police and kennelled.

“Abbey was treated by a vet, with the bill coming to £220. It suffered one deep muscle wound, which needed stitches and antibiotics.”

Black was arrested and taken to Clydebank police office, where he told police that the Akita “was always biting other dogs”.

Defence lawyer Lauren Kerr said: “He accepts full responsibility.

“He is very remorseful. These were both terrible incidents, and he does not seek to minimise that.”

Sheriff Simon Pender told Black: “You were well aware of the dog’s aggressive nature.

“Even when you were unable to muzzle the dog, you took it out, to the danger of other dogs. Your attitude of telling a boy you ‘don’t give a f***’ showed how much you cared. Only custody is appropriate.”

Black was jailed for three and a half months, fined £360 and banned from owning or controlling a dog for seven years. The sheriff also ordered the Japanese Akita to be destroyed.