By being the first man to captain both Everton Football Club and their local rivals Liverpool, Andrew Hannah holds a unique position in Merseyside folklore.

He was born, of Irish parentage, the 17th of September 1864, at Renton, Dunbartonshire where his Father Henry was running a Grocery Shop. The premises stand at 72, Main Street, where he is assisted by his wife, Margaret.

The couple have one other son.

Hannah started his football career, playing at full back, with the Renton club and was in the side that beat Vale of Leven, by 3 goals to 1, in the 1885 Scottish FA Cup final.

He was also in the Renton side when they lifted the trophy for a second time, in 1888, with a 6-1 win over Cambuslang. On the 3rd of March that year, he won his only International

cap when he represented Scotland in 5-1 win over Wales at Easter Road in Edinburgh.

During the summer months Hannah would turn in to Eric Liddell mould and, during the course of life, was to win many medals at the many Highland Games gatherings he attended in various parts of Scotland.

On the 27th of April 1888 Andrew Hannah married Jessie Thompson at Fulshaw Cottage, Renton.

He is still living on Main Street and lists his occupation as being a Dairyman.

Next month he took part in an exhibition match, for a Pewter Trophy, against the FA Cup Holders West Bromwich Albion at Hampden Park and beat them by 4 goals to 1.

Hannah later signed for the West Midlands club but failed to settle and quickly returned home.

On the 23rd of March 1889, he arrived in Liverpool with the Renton team for a game against Everton that drew a crowd of over 12,000 spectators to Anfield.

The visitors took the lead but the home side, with goals from Briscoe and Millward, hit back to win 2-1.

Andrew Hannah then signed for Everton and was appointed to the role of club captain.

He took part in all of the games that were required to complete his first Football League season as Everton finished in second place. Next season the Scotsman

missed just 2 Football League matches as he captained Everton to the Football League championship.

Andrew Hannah had taken part in 42 league and FA Cup games for the club.

Meanwhile, back home in Renton, Jessie had given birth to 2 daughters who had been baptised with the names of Janet and Margaret. The 1891 census, taken in on the 5th of April, records Andrew Hannah

living on Oakfield Road in Liverpool.

The exact location of his home is a little mysterious because it does not appear to have a number on the front door.

He is the sharing the residence with Alex McGregor who lists his occupation as a Professional Footballer.

Hannah however, claims to be both a Professional Footballer and a Dairyman.

McGregor had joined Everton in the summer of 1890, from the Vale of Leven club, but was never to feature in the first eleven. When their contracts with the club expired, both men returned to their homes in Scotland.

Andrew Hannah spent one more season playing with Renton and was then persuaded to join the newly formed Liverpool Football Club.

He captained them to both the Lancashire League and Football League Division 2 championships but tasted the bitterness of relegation before he returned to Scotland where he signed for Clyde.

The 1901 census tells us Andrew Hannah now holds the License of the Black Bull Hotel which stands at 11 East High Street in Kirkintilloch.

The form reveals that Jessie has now “passed away” and that Andrew is married to Mary McQuaker with who he has Fathered another 4 children.

He has also, on the odd occasion, played football for the local Rob Roy FC.

The 1911 census finds the family living at 9, North Elgin Street, Clydebank where the head of the household is working in the local shipyard.

On the 5th of August 1934, his name appears on the passenger list of the SS Caledonia when it arrives in Glasgow from New York. He has now retired and is living at the same address. (he has almost certainly been to comfort his 2 Grandchildren following the recent death of his daughter Janet in Canada.)

Andrew Hannah was still living at 7, North Elgin Street when he died, on the 17th of June 1940, at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow and was buried at Kilbowie Cemetery in an unmarked grave. The Everton

Heritage Society may well, sometime in future, erect a headstone to acknowledge the man who first captained them to the Football League championship.