Brechin City 0-1 Dumbarton

Published: 5 Aug 2014 18:45

DUMBARTON advanced to the second round of the League Cup with a 1-0 win over League One side Brechin City on Saturday.

Captain Andy Graham netted the only goal of the game

Captain Andy Graham netted the only goal of the game

The game was played in poor conditions throughout, and the action on the pitch matched the weather.

Sons started the better of the two sides with Chris Turner, back in the side after missing out last week’s Stranraer loss, creating a couple of good chances with aware and precise passing.

First, he played a diagonal ball to Mark Gilhaney following good, quick passing play from the Dumbarton midfield on the edge of the area. Gilhaney took a touch that set him up well for a cross, but the cross was blocked for a corner.

Turner was at the heart of Sons attack again soon after, this time a reverse through ball caught out the Brechin defence and found Mitch Megginson.

Last season’s top scorer ran on to the ball before crossing in, however the cross had the same outcome as Gilhaney’s previous effort.

Brechin then created a great chance, with a powerful effort from Robert Thomson hitting the side netting after the winger latched onto a through ball before Scott Linton came close with a free kick.

The away side created their best chance of the half just before half time but Bryan Prunty could only fire over the bar from the edge of the area.

Sons came out flying in the second half, with Gilhaney looking lively. He found space down the right hand side but his low cross was deflected into the keeper’s hands.

Ian Murray then looked to change things up for Sons, with Archie Campbell replacing Prunty.

Brechin thought they had taken the lead just two minutes before Dumbarton went ahead. Tapping put the ball in the net after new signing Danny Rogers pulled off a flying save from an angled effort. However, the linesman’s flag was up to deny the goal.

Sons went up the pitch and won a throw-in in an attacking position. Linton’s long throw caused mayhem in the hosts six yard box, before Graham eventually prodded the ball just over the line.

Dumbarton nearly doubled their lead moments later. Colin Nish headed in at the back post after great work from Campbell on the right hand side, however the referee disallowed the goal for a foul on the defender.

Brechin had another great chance to get on the scoresheet, but great defending from Linton denied them.

Fusco nearly grabbed his side a sensational equaliser when he let fly from 25 yards. The shot looked like it was headed for the top corner, but swerved away at the last moment with Rogers scrambling.

Brechin were pushing to find a dramatic equaliser that would take the tie to penalties, but it was the visitors who nearly got a second at the death.

More great work down the right hand side from Campbell gave him time to look up and cut the ball back for Megginson, however he shot wide.

Dumbarton managed to soak up the late Brechin pressure, and will go into the hat for the second round draw.

Brechin City: Smith; McCormack, Hamilton, McLean, McLauchlan, Fusco, Trouten, Molloy (Cameron 75), A Jackson, Tapping (Ferguson 62), Thomson (Barr 62). Unused: Tough; S Jackson.

Dumbarton: Rogers; Van Zanten, Linton, Graham, Mair, Turner (Kirkpatrick 68), Gilhaney (McDougall 87), Agnew, Nish, Megginson, Prunty (Campbell 55). Unused: Grindlay; Taggart, Murray, Coleman.

Attendance: 379

Jump to first paragraph.