Free Tommy

Published: 10 Feb 2011 15:00

I AM wondering if there would be any interest locally in the formation of a new pressure group to be known as the LBTG group.

Not to be confused with the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) group, this would be the LET BIG TOMMY GO group.

I have watched with increasing bemusement the enormous waste of public money that has been poured into the open sewer that became the trial or the life and times of Tommy Sheridan.

I would accept unreservedly that Tommy, having been found guilty by a jury of his peers has committed perjury, has to be punished, but my understanding of custodial sentences is that they are to provide certain outcomes.

Namely, they are a way of protecting the public from further offences, but unless we ignore the human rights legislation currently in force, Tommy will continue to shout his innocence from Barlinnie or wherever else he is detained.

I think that Tommy does not pose a threat to public safety and the person most injured by all of this is Tommy himself.

The second consideration in custodial sentences is rehabilitation and I am afraid Tommy is incorrigible in that department and cannot in my opinion be reconstructed he is always going to be Tommy.

There is also the question of restitution and we will not get much in the way of that from Tommy in Barlinnie I think he will spend his time on appeals and continued protestations of his innocence in fact I would not be surprised if he becomes the first guest columnist in the tabloids with a Barlinnie address.

The final point is punishment and this I believe should be related to the other conditions

Punishment to my mind should be custodial when there is a risk to the general public and I do not think Tommy qualifies in that department there is also the question of the cost of incarceration.

If there must be punishment then let us look at another type, tag, curfew community service an exclusion order barring him from council meetings demos or other activities that he enjoys. In my opinion we have spent enough public money in pursuit of Tommy and we should now close the purse.

Jump to first paragraph.

Get more stories from our Comment section

31 Mar 2014 11:30

This week's new music releases

KEVIN Bryan takes a look at this week's new releases:

4 Mar 2014 16:34

What is the future for defence and Faslane?

IN our second referendum feature, both sides are focused in the issue of defence.

25 Feb 2014 09:27

Jackie Baillie MSP

LAST week saw the Stage 1 reading of the Procurement Reform Bill at Holyrood, not necessarily a headline grabbing bill, but an important one.

13 Feb 2014 12:48

A vote that shapes our nation’s future

September 18 heralds the biggest vote in Scotland’s history. In the run up to the independence referendum, the Reporter will invite Danny McCafferty, chairman of Yes West Dunbartonshire, and Labour Jackie Baillie MSP, from Better Together, to address the key issues affecting this area and beyond.

13 Feb 2014 12:33

Council leader Martin Rooney

LAST week the Labour administration was pleased to approve the council’s budget for 2014/15 and I believe it includes many exciting announcements for West Dunbartonshire.

18 Dec 2013 10:00

Council leader Martin Rooney

As this is my last column of 2013, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

22 Nov 2013 14:00

Jackie Baillie MSP

READERS will know that over the past few weeks I have been campaigning against cuts to opening hours at local police stations.

25 Oct 2013 14:00

On the Spot

WE asked you this week how you felt about the price hike on energy bills revealed by energy companies and how it will affect you. Here’s what you had to say:

25 Oct 2013 10:00

Jackie Baillie MSP

I WAS shocked to learn this month that the thin blue line is soon to become even thinner in Dumbarton and the Vale.

17 Oct 2013 10:16

Councillor George Black

Labour MP Anas Sarwar came to Clydebank to debate the question should the working class support independence — the answer is yes they should. Of course they should.

13 Oct 2013 12:00

On the Wire

LAST week, work started on phase two of the enhancement works to improve Mitchell Way in Alexandria. We asked you what you thought about the development. Here’s what you had to say:

12 Oct 2013 10:00

Gemma Doyle MP

I KNOW that things are difficult right now. Monthly bills are going up and people are working harder to make ends meet.

7 Oct 2013 10:00

Councillor George Black

1994: Blair, Brown and Mandleson seized the Labour Party.

27 Sep 2013 10:00

Jackie Baillie MSP

SEPTEMBER marked the start of a new Parliamentary session and a new legislative programme from the Scottish Government.

20 Sep 2013 10:00

Council leader Martin Rooney

It was Groundhog Day in the Scottish Parliament. The Scottish Government repeatedly tell us that local government is a priority for them, but continue to reduce our budgets year on year, which means more cuts to council services and ultimately fewer workers in local government.

15 Sep 2013 12:00

Gemma Doyle MP

PARLIAMENT was recalled at the end of August because of the very serious situation in Syria.

30 Aug 2013 10:00

On the Wire

LAST week, an NHS report was released that said Scots are still drinking too much, despite a fall in the amount of alcohol sold per person. We asked you what you thought about the report, here's what you had to say:

29 Aug 2013 10:00

Jackie Baillie MSP

IT is no secret that the cost of raising a child is becoming more expensive in Scotland.

23 Aug 2013 10:00

Council leader Martin Rooney

THE casual workers policy was introduced in 2009 by the SNP administration following consultation with the recognised trades unions

16 Aug 2013 16:00

Gemma Doyle MP

OVER the past few months there has been a lot of discussion about the upcoming referendum and what the impact of Scotland separating from the rest of the UK would be. I've been out and about in the constituency over the summer recess and a lot of people want to talk about the referendum.