Garry Fleming's goal was the difference between Dumbarton and Falkirk on Saturday afternoon, with the Sons running out 2-1 winners.

An own goal gave Dumbarton a half time lead, and when Craig Sibbald equalised The Bairns looked favourites for the win.

However, just two minutes after the leveller, Fleming's fine strike gave Dumbarton a vital three points.

There was one Sons change from the defeat at Hibs last week as Sam Stanton replaced Josh Todd.

Chances were at a premium in the first half, with Falkirk dominating possession but failing to create a chance that seriously threatened Alan Martin in the Sons goal.

Craig Sibbald fired straight at the 'keeper before John Baird put the ball in the net, but for the assistant referee's flag to deny him.

Referee Mat Northcroft made a series of calls that baffled both sets of supporters, which caused the game to begin heating up.

It looked liked the closest Dumbarton would come to a goal in the first half would be a header from Robert Thomson that former Sons loanee Danny Rogers gathered easily.

However, on the stroke of half time they would go ahead.

Falkirk's Aaron Muirhead, under pressure from Thomson, ended up heading the ball into his own net from Mark Docherty's corner to give Dumbarton the lead at the break.

At the beginning of the second half, Mark Kerr came close for the visitors, and Docherty made a vital block to deny Baird.

Dumbarton had chances of their own, and Joe Thomson perhaps could have done better after Fleming clipped the ball towards the Celtic loanee.

On the 65 minute mark, however, the Bairns would equalise.

A ball into the box wasn't dealt and Sibbald eventually drilled the ball home in a busy penalty area.

Just two minutes later, Dumbarton were ahead again.

J Thomson won the ball in his own half and offloaded the ball to Stanton.

From deep inside his own half, the man on loan from Hibs drove forward before sliding the ball through to Fleming. As composed as ever, he took a touch and dispatched the ball into the bottom corner.

Chances followed for Andy Stirling but he missed the target on the volley from close range.

Going into the last ten minutes, Falkirk were commiting bodies forward which meant that Dumbarton caught their opponents on the counter attack on more than one occassion, and should have taken

advantage on at least one occassion.

The visitors continued to drive forward and launch the ball into the box, but committed defending from Dumbarton kept them ahead.

Falkirk created a golden chance deep into added time when Baird drilled the ball across goal towards Scott Shepherd, and fortunately for Sons the substitute missed the target from close range.

Dumbarton's substitues Ryan Stevenson and Josh Todd kept the ball down by the corner flag as the clock ticked down and ensured that the points were staying at the Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium.

With results elsewhere going in Sons favour, Stevie Aitken's men now lie in eighth place level on points with Ayr United and Dunfermline going into next weeks Christmas Eve clash with the Honest Men.