Dumbarton manager Stevie Aitken is confident of signing former Sons striker Christian Nade in time for their game against Morton next Saturday.

The Frenchman spent the first part of the season with Stranraer, but left the club in November by mutual consent.

And the Sons boss is keen for a reunion with the striker, with the Frenchman training with the club last week, and the former Hearts striker was also watching Saturday's 4-4 with Ayr from the stands.

And Reporter Sport understands that Nade is likely to sign his paperwork to join Dumbarton in the next few days and will be registered next week when the transfer window opens.

Aitken said: “We're talking to him and his agent at the moment, and talks have been going along nicely and he's been in training with us.

"He's looked the part and he's enjoyed being back with us again so we'll wait and see what will happen in the next few days.

“We're hopefully close to getting something tied up in the next few days, but we can't do anything until January 1 and we'll try and get a deal with him if we can.”

The forward had a highly successful spell with the Sons in the second half of last season, scoring seven times in 12 appearances.

The 32-year-old then went on trial at Morton and Linfield in the summer in the pursuit of first team football.

He was offered a deal by Dumbarton but in the end moved to Stranraer, where he played six times, scoring once.

Since then, he has played three games for Annan Athletic as a trialist, and Aitken says he's impressed by his fitness.

He added: “He's played three games with Annan as a trialist and he's been training with us for over a week now so his fitness isn't a concern for us.”

Another name linked with the Sons is Matthew Rooney, the former Portadown striker was on trial at St Mirren in November but the manager said he was not someone they were looking at.