TWO injury time goals for 10-man Ayr United claimed a point, drawing 2-2 with Dumbarton on Saturday at the CID Stadium.

Ross Docherty was sent off for the visitors after 27 minutes, with Sam Stanton firing the Sons ahead midway through the second half.

The Hibs loanee doubled his tally with 15 minutes to go as the hosts dominated the game.

But a Michael Rose free-kick in the 91st minute and a Craig Moore penalty after 93 minutes sealed a draw for the Honest Men.

Dumbarton remain in seventh, while Ayr stay ninth in the table.

Stevie Aitken kept the faith in his squad and opted for the same starting lineup for the third game in a row.

The opening minutes of the game were closely fought, Christian Nade and David Smith having the best early chances for the Sons.

After 26 minutes Robert Thomson came close to opening the scoring. The winger rose highest to meet Smith’s cross, but the former Brechin City man’s effort bounced off the post, with Fleming gratefully clutching to the rebound.

But moments later, Ayr’s Docherty saw a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Andy Stirling.

After that the Sons began to dominate possession and territory as they took control of the game, with Nade and Stanton having efforts saved before the half-time break.

United changed to a 4-4-1 after half-time, with new signing Farid El Alagui sacrificed for the more defensive-minded Rose.

But it did little to stop Dumbarton’s ever-growing pressure, Stirling’s cross after 49 minutes was cleared with some great defending from Gary Harkins.

Ayr players protested for a handball in the box after 51 minutes, but referee John McKendrick waved play on.

But the home side’s dominance finally paid off after 62 minutes.

The Sons broke away on the counter, with Stanton picking the ball up 40 yards out.

The midfielder drove into the box, unleashing a shot from 20 yards out. And while Fleming got fingertips on it, it was so sweetly struck that it flew into the top corner.

And the 22-year-old doubled his tally 13 minutes later.

Stirling’s free-kick was met by Thomson, who tried to flick the ball on but it eventually fell to Stanton, who fired in from inside the box.

Sons looked comfortable into the closing stages, but gave away a free-kick on the edge of the box.

Rose fired it into the far corner, with goalkeeper Alan Martin rooted to the spot, with United scoring with their first shot on target.

And from the restart, Ayr threw the ball straight up top, with Darren Barr giving away the penalty.

Moore stepped up to score an unlikely equaliser for the visitors after 93 minutes.

If Dumbarton do end up towards the relegation spots towards the end of the year, they will look back at this tie as two points lost.

The Sons’ next game is away to Falkirk, with kick-off at 3pm.

DUMBARTON: Martin, M Docherty, Buchanan, Carswell, Thomson, Stanton (Vaughan, 83), Harvie, Barr, Smith (McCrorie, 76), Stirling, Nade (Fleming, 76).

Substitutes not used: Ewings, Lang, Gallagher, Prior.

AYR: Fleming, Devlin, Boyle, McDaid (Moore, 21), Harkins (McGuffie, 76), Cairney, El Alagui (Rose, 46), Adams, Megatt, Balatoni, R Docherty.

Subs not used: Hart, Murphy, Wardrope, McKenna