Dumbarton battled to a hard fought 2-2 draw with Falkirk at the Falkirk Stadium in the Scottish Championship.

The Bairns opened the scoring with a fantastic volley from Luke Leahy, but Lewis Vaughan equalised with his own spectacular score for the Sons.

The visitors took the lead after 51 minutes through a sweetly struck shot from Andy Stirling, only for Nathan Austin to bring Peter Houston's side level after the hour.

Daniel Harvie’s header skimmed the bar with 10 minutes to go, and the hosts’ James Craigen also crashing an effort off the post.

But the sides shared the spoils, with Dumbarton moving up to seventh and the Bairns remain in third.

Sons started off slowly, with Falkirk dominating possession in the early stages.

Leahy carved out the first chance for the home side after three minutes, with Austin wriggling free of his marker and putting his header just past the post.

Craigan and Craig Sibbald were next to have efforts saved by Alan Martin, as Houston’s side put the pressure on the Stevie Aitken's team.

But after 37 minutes, Aaron Muirhead’s crossfield pass landed perfectly for Englishman Leahy to volley, his strike sailing over Martin to give the Bairns the lead.

However it only took Dumbarton a matter of seconds to equalise.

Straight from the kick-off, Vaughan dribbled past several Falkirk players before rifling the ball past former Sons player Danny Rogers to bring Dumbarton back on equal terms and slot his first goal for the club.

In the second half the away team came out with the same vigour from the end of the first 45, and took the lead after 51 minutes.

Falkirk looked like they were about to counter, with Sibbald chasing up the field with the ball.

But great hounding work from Christian Nade gave Sons possession again, an Stirling did the rest.

The winger drifted past several on the right flank before cutting back inside, and unleashed from 20 yards into the top left hand corner to the delight of the 112 visiting fans.

The Bairns were level on the hour mark however, Austin was played through after Sibbald’s pass deflected off Miles Hippolyte’s knee to fire in, and Dumbarton players appeals for offside were dismissed.

And Paul Watson thought he brought the home side restored Falkirk's lead, but a goal-line clearance from Darren Barr prevented the visitors from falling behind again.

Aberdeen loanee Harvie was unlucky late on not to turn Stirling’s corner in as it skimmed off the bar.

And Craigen almost claimed it for Peter Houston’s side, smashing his effort off the bar.

But it remained 2-2, the third consective weekend the Sons have walked away with that scoreline.

Stevie Aitken’s side next league fixture is away to Dunfermline, kick-off time is Saturday at 3pm.

Falkirk: Rogers, Leahy, Muirhead, Taiwo, Sibbald, Hippolyte (Aird, 65), Grant, Austin (McHugh, 81), Miller (Baird, 73), Craigen, Watson.

Subs not used: Robbie Thomson, Kidd, Gasparotto.

Dumbarton: Martin, Docherty, Buchanan, Carswell, Robert Thomson, Harvie, Barr, Smith, Stirling (McCrorie, 90), Vaughan (Stanton, 78), Nade (Fleming, 81).

Subs not used: Ewings, McCrorie, Lang, Gallagher, Prior.

Attendance: 4160

Away fans: 112