Dumbarton manager Stevie Aitken was happy to see his side progressed through to the next round of the Irn Bru Cup after beating Rangers under-20s 2-1 on Wednesday night.

But the manager may have some injury doubts for their trip to Queen of the South on Saturday, after Calum Gallagher, Craig Barr and Ally Roy were forced off.

Dumbarton got off to an ideal start when Gallagher scored a penalty after two minutes, with Mark Stewart doubling their advantage 49 minutes in, turning in Chris McLaughlin’s cross.

Ryan Hardie tapped in from close range on 72 minutes to make it a nervy ending, but Dumbarton held out for their first cup win in 14 attempts, and only their third win in the Challenge Cup in 15 years.

And Aitken's side will be in the draw later today at 1pm.

He said: “I knew what to expect, we knew Rangers were going to come down, a full-time club, a lot of good players who have played in the first time we knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

“The game planned out the way we thought it was going to, they had a lot of the ball and we were getting them on the counter attack. If we were careful in the final third we would have scored more goals.

“We just wanted to get through the tie without any problems. We’ve got a couple of injuries to take players off as they had a few problems.

“Craig Barr got injured so he had to come off. Calum Gallagher it was his first game so his calf has tightened up so he’s had to come off and it’s important to get Stuart Carswell games.

“Ally Roy took a knock on Saturday, his ankle is a bit sore so we took him off at half-time as a precaution. We just couldn’t afford any more injuries.”

Dumbarton took an early lead, a long punt from defence was well picked up by Gallagher, who snuck in behind the defensive line and into the box.

Gers’ defender Aidan Wilson bundled into Gallagher in the box. The former Saints player dusted himself down to smash home his first competitive goal for the club.

The visitors first shot on target was a set piece by Jamie Barjonas just outside the box, but the ball was comfortably collected by Scott Gallacher.

The young Gers side had a lot of possession throughout the tie, and Andy Dallas was next to test Gallacher. The striker was put through by Zak Rudden, but despite slotting the ball through Gallacher’s legs, Rudden’s effort was just off target.

Kyle Hutton, another ex-Gers player for the Sons went close on 37 minutes. The midfielder made a driving run forward, and his right footed shot cannoned off the post.

After the break, Dumbarton started well again, and it only took the hosts four minutes to double their advantage.

McLaughlin, who had a lots of joy down the left wing with Tom Walsh, drilled in a low cross into the box. The ball took a slight deflection on route, and found its way to Stewart, who tapped in from close range.

Dumbarton’s rhythm was disrupted after making several changes due to injuries, with Barr and Gallagher coming off.

Rangers changed formation with several substitutions themselves, and eventually broke through on 72 minutes.

Former Raith and St Mirren striker Hardie latched onto Harden’s through-ball, and slotted past Gallacher from close range.

The game became stretched, as both teams looked for the next score.

McLaughlin pounced on a defensive mix-up between Jordan Houston and goalkeeper Aidan McAdams, but he somehow fired wide, missing the open goal.