Dumbarton Academy FP defeated East Kilbride 4-1 on penalties to book their place in the quarter-finals of the William Turner Cup after staging a remarkable comeback on Saturday.

Despite being 1-0 up at half time Accies found themselves trailing 3-1 with two minutes of the 90 to go, yet incredibly managed to find two goals, forcing the tie straight to spot-kicks and setting up a last eight showdown with Finnart.

East Kilbride started the match strongly, but Accies took the lead on 12 minutes through Tom McHard.

East Kilbride equalised on 50 minutes as a cross was bundled home by Michael Carroll and went ahead two minutes later as Jordan Fletcher scored a cracking 25-yard free-kick.

And with five minutes to go, Accies fell further behind as they were caught on the counterwhen East Kilbride cleared their corner upfield.

Craig Tocher’s excellent first touch took him clear of the Accies defence before he calmly stroked the ball home.

Kilby thought the game was won, but Accies team spirit saw them get themselves back into the game as Andrew MacDonald rose highest to head home from a Conor McGlinchey corner.

Incredibly, Accies levelled as the game headed towards the ninety minute mark throughMcHard’ sublime volley high into the net.

Accies then almost won the match with the last attack as MacDonald released McHard who shot early, but Campbell produced a good block.

In the shoot-out McHard, MacDonald, Dooley and Nicholson scored for Accies. McGillivray saved East Kilbride’s first penalty, while their third was off target Earlier in the week, Accies took a significant step towards their first league title in 12 years as they beat Thorn Athletic 3-1 last Wednesday to move thirteen points clear with just five league games to play.

Accies’ first meaningful attack of the game saw them take the lead on ten minutes after an excellent move saw Jack Buchanan and Andrew MacDonald exchange a quick one-two pass.

McMahon pulled Thorn level after 25 minutes as his deflected shot beat Grindlay at his near post. But Accies managed to retake the lead on 65 minutes asAllan MacPherson volleyed in Alan Nicholson’s cross with an excellent scissor kick.

Accies secured a third as Nicholson found the back of the net from six-yards with fifteen minutes to go, before standing firm to secure a vital victory as Thorn sought to press forward.

They play Finnart in the the cup on May 3, with Saturday’s game dependent on this result.