The Ibrox side made it five wins out of five over Sons this season with a 3-1 comeback win, the afternoon had started well for the home side with Mark Wilson firing them ahead in the second minute.

Ryan Hardie levelled on his first start for Gers shortly after, before two goals right out of the top drawer killed the game, Hardie and Haris Vukic doing the damage at the start of the second period.

Ian Murray made one change to the side which lost 3-0 at Alloa the previous weekend. Darren Petrie dropped to the bench and was replaced by Dylan Easton.

Rangers boss Stuart McCall made two changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Livingston on Wednesday. Striker Ryan Hardie made his first start for the club while Tom Walsh also came into the side. Dean Shiels dropped to the bench while Kenny Miller sat out with an injury.

Rangers started on the front foot and should’ve been in front after just 30 seconds. Haris Vukic cut back from the right was perfect for Nicky Clark who put it high over the bar when it looked easier to score.

Rangers were made to pay for that miss when Sons went straight up the pitch and took a shock lead.

Mark Gilhaney played a lovely cross in from the right which evaded the Gers defence. It came to the back post where Mark Wilson was free and he struck it sweetly on the half volley into the left corner for his first goal for the club and the Dumbarton faithful were sent into raptures.

Danny Rogers had to be alert moments later to tip over an acrobatic effort from Lee McCulloch after a corner.

After 10 minutes Rangers would strike level. A lovely ball over the top from Haris Vukic put Hardie into a foot race with Andy Graham, the striker took it beyond the Sons skipper and after his initial shot was saved by Rogers he bundled the rebound into the net despite Stuart Findlay’s efforts on the line. Graham and Rogers went into a heated debate after the goal, the defender presumably wanted Rogers off his line quicker.

The early setback seemed to wake Rangers up, after 20 minutes they might’ve hit the front when Darren McGregor beat Wilson on the right, his cut back was a good one but it evaded Nicky Law.

After a period of Rangers pressure Sons almost struck again. Garry Fleming held the ball up well and looped a ball over for Dylan Easton.

The on-loan St Johnstone man carried the ball fully 30 yards and was faced with McCulloch on the edge of the area, after a step over and a drop of the shoulder he had space to shoot but he dragged his shot wide.

Vukic then teed up Law whose strike was well tipped over by Rogers — who was having an excellent first half.

On the stroke of half-time Rogers was called into action once again. Some neat play between Law and Nicky Clark set up Haris Vukic, who tried to flick the ball into the corner with his weaker right foot, but Rogers blocked once again. Rogers and Findlay were Sons stand out players in the first half.

The on-loan Celtic defender has been almost faultless since his January move to the Rock and facing one of the top teams in the league was not fazing him.

Three minutes into the second half and Sons fell behind to a magnificent goal. Lee Wallace crossed with the outside of his boot, the ball didn’t look favourable for Hardie but he managed to hook it back over his own head and into the corner. It was a terrific finish showing confidence beyond his years.

A few minutes later and Dumbarton’s task was made almost impossible. Vukic took the ball on the right and cut inside onto his favoured left foot and fired the ball into the top corner from fully 25 yards.

It was a spectacular strike, the type which has become a trademark for Vukic during his time at Ibrox, moving in from the right to open up space for a shot with his left.

Two goals in quick succession was tough to take for Sons after putting so much into the game, after the double blow Ian Murray’s men struggled to get a foot hold in the match as Rangers began to dominate.

The home side got a good look at Cammy Bell’s goal after 65 minutes, a ball in from Easton found Findlay who got free of McGregor, but his header from eight yards out was straight at the Gers keeper.

Archie Campbell then had an effort after a Scott Taggart cross was not properly dealt with by the Gers defence, but his left footed volley flew over the bar.

After the furious start to both halves, the remaining time in the second period was largely played out at a low tempo with Rangers comfortable with a two goal cushion and Dumbarton unable to have any sustained possession or fashion opportunities in the final third.

Nicky Law hit the bar in the closing stages while substitute Calum Gallagher put one over from close range.