<span>A first-half strike from John Connelly denied Dumbarton Academy the chance to lift the William Turner League Cup on Friday night.</span> <span>A first-half strike from John Connelly denied Dumbarton Academy the chance to lift the William Turner League Cup on Friday night.</span> Accies'’ management team’s plans were rocked when the league announced on the evening of the final that Alan Filshie and Scott Williamson were suspended for the match — contrary to previous understanding.

The match started slowly with both team’s 3-5-2 formations cancelling each other out.

Around the quarter-hour mark Giffnock started to created some opportunities. Initially a shot from Garry Dickson was off target then a cross from Gordon Connelly across the six yard box went unrewarded.

On 20 minutes a direct run from Gordon Connelly resulted in a free kick on the edge of Accies box. The resultant free kick by David Kneale hit the Accies wall with the referee correctly waved away claims for a penalty due to handball.

Shortly after Paul McCann saw a free kick blasted over the bar.

Accies reacted to the Giffnock threat by creating a couple of opportunities. A fantastic Marcus Dooley cross from a wide position arrived at the advancing Connor McGlinchey whose flick towards goal was scrambled clear.

This was followed by a good move between Leo Daremas and Paul McGlinchey which saw the latter release Connor McGlinchey. The forward evaded Giffnock defender David Fry’s attention to advance into the box. As he was about to shoot the defender produced a very good tackle to clear the ball for a corner.

Graeme Ramage then saw his volley from the edge of the box go narrowly wide.

Just as Accies were beginning to assert themselves on the match Giffnock took the lead.

A corner swung into the Accies box was partially cleared. The ball landed at Barry Callaghan who quickly sent it into the Accies’ six yard box where John Connelly had the easiest of tasks to tap home.

The second half saw the game begin to open up a little as the large playing surface took its toll after a long season for both teams, Connelly saw a header saved by Accies keeper Andrew McGillivray — the keeper managing to save the ball at the second attempt.

Just after the hour mark, with Accies starting to take risks in order to chase an equaliser, Giffnock substitute Eugene Forde had a clear opportunity to increase Giffnock'’s lead — a free header going wide.

Accies' management changed their formation to 3-4-3 in an attempt to create more chances. The change had a positive impact — with various opportunities created from wide areas — however Giffnock keeper Craig Marshall was rarely troubled.

As the match entered its final phase, David Kneale saw a shot hit the bar with Accies keeper Andrew McGillivray beaten.

Giffnock'’s forwards did well in the final five minutes to run down the clock preventing Accies mounting any serious attack and the win was secured.