Strathclyde University scored an 88th minute equaliser to prevent Dumbarton Academy from taking three points on Saturday.

Accies took the lead on 20 minutes via Colin MacPhee, however Strathclyde’s Wilson eventually put the ball in the net two minutes from time after having his initial efforts saved.

With normal team captain Jack Buchanan dropping to the bench as a result of carrying an injury, Craig Cavana picked up the mantle.

David Goodwin, Alan Nicholson and Tom McHard returned to the starting line-up, replacing Scott Williamson and the injured duo of Connor McGlinchey and Buchanan.

An early effort from the impressive Strathclyde left back David Aubrey saw Accies keeper Andrew McGillivray save comfortably, who immediately set up an Accies counter attack – with Callum Shipcott frustrated to be thwarted.

A well-worked corner then saw Cavana head the ball back across goal, and the rising Marcus Dooley saw his header narrowly go over the bar.

On 15 minutes a cross from Ian Davie again reached Cavana – this time Strathclyde’s Sam Philip cleared well.

Accies were starting to impose themselves on their opponents. A McHard and Goodwin exchange saw the latter cross into the box, the ball reaching Andrew MacDonald whose slightly miss-hit shot was saved.

On 20 minutes, Accies took the lead.

A MacDonald corner was swung into the Strathclyde box and MacPhee rose high above his marker to power a header home.

Strathclyde immediately sought an equaliser.

A dangerous cross by Aubrey went unrewarded and Accies scorer MacPhee also demonstrated excellent defensive skills to clear a further cross over his own bar.

Just before the break a Cavana volley flashed across the Strathclyde goal, with Accies supporters thinking he had scored.

The second half continued where the first half finished, with both teams attacking in what was a good advert for amateur football.

On the hour, Accies keeper McGillivray did well to tip an effort over his bar.

Shortly afterwards, a cross from Dooley reached Leo Daremas, whose shot was blocked well by Ross MacKenzie.

A great cross from MacDonald across the Strathclyde box then went unrewarded.

With seven minutes to go, MacDonald then hit the outside of the Strathclyde post with Adam Rennie beaten.

A one-goal lead is always precarious, and Strathclyde continued to press forward.

Wilson was released towards the Accies box, Andrew McGillivray saved his initial effort, Daremas blocked a second attempt, however the forward’s persistence was rewarded when he tapped home at the third attempt, much to Accies’ frustration.

Accies will reflect that this was two points dropped, however Strathclyde will feel they deserved at least a point.

Accies’ next games are away at St Mungo’s tonight, they then travel to face Cumbernauld Colts on Saturday.

Strathclyde University: Adam Rennie, Robin Sloan, David Aubrey, Ross Mackenzie, Kris Gray, Sam Philip, Mac Duncan, Nathan Leicester, Micheil Smith, Hne Wilson, Martyn Stevensen Subs: Liam Gordon, Ryan Ralston, Conlyn Comrie

Accies: Andrew McGillivray, David Goodwin, Ian Davie, Marcus Dooley, Leo Daremas, Craig Cavana (capt), Colin MacPhee, Alan Nicholson, Callum Shipcott, Tom McHard, Andrew MacDonald Subs: Alan Filshie, Jerry Packham, Craig Darroch, Jack Buchanan