Dumbarton opened their league campaign with a goalless draw against Morton at the Rock on Saturday.

The Sons best chance came early on via Ally Roy, the Hearts loanee was unable to angle his shot past Ton goalkeeper Derek Gaston when through on goal after 10 minutes.

Overall it was an even game with neither side having many clear cut chances, but the hosts had to sustain some heavy pressure in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Manager Stevie Aitken was forced to make several changes to the side that lost 3-0 to Kilmarnock in the League Cup last week.

With Kyle Hutton and Danny Handling both suspended, Craig Barr returned in midfield and striker Christian Nade returning from suspension. Roy was also brought in for winger Chris Johnston.

The scale of the rebuilding job Aitken has had to do over the summer was highlighted in the starting line-up, with 10 Sons players making their league debuts, only striker Nade played for the side last season.

But it was the visitors who looked like they hadn’t played together in the opening exchanges, a defensive mix-up almost costing them dearly.

A hopeful punt from defence turned into a brilliant through ball after both Ton centre-backs misjudged the flight of the ball.

Roy charged forward and played himself in with a good first touch, but was unable to guide the ball past Gaston when in one-on-one.

Ex-Celtic youth player Connor McManus had two opportunities from set pieces, but the stand-in centre-back’s efforts were saved by Scott Gallacher.

But there was little goalmouth action until the end of the first half, Gaston clawing away Nade’s effort from a corner.

The visitors best chance of the half came straight after, former Dumbarton forward Robert Thomson snuck in front of goalkeeper Gallacher, and was inches away from Bob McHugh’s cross.

The game became scrappy in the second half, neither side able to gain any rhythm with the stop-start nature of the match.

Ton pushed forward late on as they looked to snatch the three points.

Sons were almost their own worst enemy, with a defensive mix-up between Roy and Gallacher almost allowed right-back Michael Doyle in to score.

But fortunately for Dumbarton, the right-back scooped his effort over after 81 minutes.

Tom Walsh’s headed clearance landed at Ross Forbes’ feet, and from 25 yards out, the midfielder’s clean strike flew past the scrambling Gallacher, but luckily for the goalkeeper it went wide.

The former St Mirren and Hibs goalkeeper was forced into action again, denying Forbes in injury time.

But the Sons were able to weather Morton’s last attacks and hold out for a point. Dumbarton’s next game is away to Falkirk on Saturday, kick-off is at 3pm at the Falkirk Stadium.

DUMBARTON: Gallacher McLaughlin, Dowie, Hill, Wardrop, Barr, Wilson (Gallagher, 77), Roy, Stewart, Walsh (Smith, 86), Nade.

Subs not used: Johnston, Prior, Ewings.

MORTON: Gaston, Murdoch, Lamie, Doyle, Forbes, Quitongo (Tiffoney, 86), Thomson, McHugh, Tidser, Russell, McManus.

Subs not used: McGowan, Strapp, Langan, Armour, Iredale.