Stevie Aitken’s 100th game in charge of Dumbarton ended in defeat, after Livingston scored late on to beat Sons 2-1 at the Tony Macaroni Arena on Saturday.

The hosts went in front after 19 minutes via Alan Lithgow, before Tom Walsh equalised with 14 minutes to go.

But Livi earned all three points when Craig Halkett capitalised on poor defending from Sons late on, but Sons remain in seventh place in the Championship.

Manager Stevie Aitken stuck with the same starting line-up that beat Inverness Caledonian Thistle, as Sons looked to win three league games in a row for the first time since January 2014.

It was an open first 15 minutes at Livingston, with Dougie Hill smashing the ball just wide from a Dimitris Froxylias corner.

But Livingston soon began to take control of the game, Nicky Cadden’s low shot was easily saved by Scott Gallacher however.

But on 19 minutes, the hosts grabbed their first goal of the afternoon. Josh Mullin’s corner landed at the head of defender Lithgow, who powered the ball past Gallacher to make it 1-0.

Livingston’s workrate off the ball was impressive, as they hounded Sons and forced them to give up possession on a number of occasions.

Some desperate defending from Sons saw Chris McLaughlin clear a header off the line on 28 minutes, Mullin’s corner again finding Lithgow in the box.

Just four minutes later there was another header cleared off the line by Dumbarton.

Livingston countered from a Dumbarton corner, catching Sons on the break and should have doubled their lead.

Mullen worked his way past Andy Dowie, with Hill this time coming to Sons rescue as they looked to head in just one goal behind.

Cadden was then forced off after landing awkwardly, appearing to dislocate his shoulder on 36 minutes. Dumbarton managed to cling on till half-time, not having a single shot on target.

As has been the pattern in recent weeks, Sons came out the stronger team in the second half.

Froxylias had the visitors first attempt on goal, his free-kick from 20 yards was saved by Neil Alexander on 49 minutes.

But Livi were still a threat, left-back James Penrice saw his shot deflected wide, with Gallacher at full stretch, but luckily the ball went inches wide of the post.

Danny Mullen worked the ball down the right for Livingston on 57 minutes, making his way past Sam Wardrop and Dowie before shooting well over.

Dumbarton’s next attempt came four minutes later, Froxylias with another free-kick from 20 yards out, but Alexander was again equal to the attempt.

Sons first clear cut chance came via Walsh, after the winger’s good work on the left, his cross found Nade in the box, the Frenchman’s header thundered off the crossbar before being eventually cleared.

McLaughlin and Stewart next had attempts for Dumbarton, as they away side began to take a foothold in the game.

And they eventually got the equaliser they deserved, Walsh dribbling past two players on the left before cutting inside. His shot was deflected past Alexander to bring Sons level on 76 minutes.

But Livingston had other ideas. After poor defensive play from Sons, a poor back header from substitute Greg Morrison landed at Halkett, who headed past Gallacher to give Livi the winner. Sons next host Stranraer in the Irn Bru Cup on Saturday, kick-off is at 7.45pm.

DUMBARTON: Gallacher, McLaughlin, Dowie, Stewart (Morrison, 72), Walsh, Wardrop, Hutton, Hill, (Wilson, 77) Froxylias, Nade (Roy, 89), Barr.

Subs not used: Ewings, Smith, Gallagher, Johnston.