DUMBARTON were left to curse their missed opportunities after Saturday’s 2-0 defeat to St Mirren at the Rock.

Goals in each half from Gavin Reilly and substitute John Sutton gave Saints the three points, but Stevie Aitken’s men passed up chances of their own throughout the clash with the league leaders.

Saints went close as early as the third minute when Adam Eckersley hit the byline before crossing to the back post where Ross Stewart was able to guide it towards the far corner on the stretch, but Andy Dowie positioned himself well to head off the line.

The Buddies were piling on the pressure and would’ve been in front two minutes later had it not been for former Saints goalkeeper Scott Gallacher. A low Ian McShane corner was brilliantly flicked around the corner by Cammy Smith to find Stephen McGinn in acres of space eight yards out, but Gallacher did brilliantly to save his low shot with his feet and divert the ball for a corner.

In a lively opening Sons were next to threaten. Dimitrios Froxylias cut in from the left and curled a terrific shot towards the far corner, Craig Samson was forced into a finger tip save to turn the ball around the post.

Christian Nade was next to threaten for Sons but he could only head over from Tom Walsh’s corner kick.

A neat one-two between Cammy Smith and Reilly set the former Hearts striker clear on goal, but Gallacher was equal to it once again. But Reilly wouldn’t have to wait long to make amends.

In the 37th minute McGinn played in Eckersley on the overlap and the full back stood up an inviting cross, Reilly was well placed to head the Paisley side in front.

On the stroke of half-time Gallacher was forced into another good save from Reilly’s shot on the turn from the edge of the area.

Sons started the second half on the front foot and should’ve equalised straight away. Good persistence from Sam Wardrop on the right forced his way past the challenge of Eckersley, he squared for Nade who in turn found Tom Walsh in space of the left side of the box, with space and time the winger blazed his shot high and wide.

Sons threatened again when Froxylias delivered a terrific free kick from the right that only needed a touch, Craig Barr was inches away from making a connection.

The unusually quiet Lewis Morgan sprung to life in the 63rd minute. He took possession and struck a fierce shot from 25 yards which was heading for the top corner but for another fine save from Gallacher.

With 20 minutes to go Saints looked to have the game wrapped up. McShane whipped in a corner and substitute John Sutton rose highest and powered a bullet header into the net to make it 2-0.

Dumbarton: Gallacher, Wardrop, Barr, Dowie, McLaughlin, Walsh (Johnston, 83), Hutton, Wilson, Froxylias, Stewart (Roy, 71), Nade (Morrison, 71).

Subs not used: Smith, Gallagher, Prior, Ewings.

St Mirren: Samson, Smith, Buchanan, Baird, Eckersley, McShane, McGinn, Stewart (Sutton, 56), Smith, Morgan (Maggenis, 83), Reilly (Stelios, 88).

Subs not used: Stewart, Duffy, Kirkpatrick, McPherson.