Dumbarton scored two goals worthy of winning any game at East End Park on Saturday - however this must have been an exception as Sons were held to a 2-2 draw against Dunfermline, writes Jack Crawford.

Tom Walsh and Dimitrios Froxylias both scored for Sons, only for Callum Morris and Nicky Clark to peg back the visitors back on two occasions.

It was a point that most Sons fans would have snatched your hand off for before the game, however after Clark scored in the 88th minute some may have come away feeling slightly disappointed.

There was just one change by manager Stevie Aitken as Greg Morrison replaced Ally Roy in the Dumbarton line-up.

There were a couple of chances in the opening stages for the hosts, but long-range efforts from Fraser Aird and Kallum Higginbotham weren’t troubling Scott Gallacher.

Callum Smith then had a good chance when he forced the ball towards goal from close range, but fortunately for Dumbarton Sam Wardrop was there to get something on the ball to see it behind.

Walsh was looking a real threat for Sons all afternoon, and showed his first glimpse when he turned Nat Wedderburn in the middle of the park, but dragged his shot wide.

The first half, for the most, didn’t have much to write home about as Aird flashed the ball over the bar in the only other meaningful action of the first 45 minutes.

Walsh was looking like just as much of a threat in the second half as he was in the first, and wouldn’t have to wait long for a reward.

Just moments after seeing a driven shot across goal pushed away by the goalkeeper, he picked up a loose ball and drove forward before burying the ball into the bottom corner.

Unfortunately for Dumbarton, the lead was short lived as defender Morris scored a striker’s goal with a neat turn and finish in the box, as they conceded their first goal in 399 minutes.

Walsh again caused more problems for the Pars, with a low cross having no takers, before forcing Sean Murdoch into a fairly straightforward save.

The returning Dimitrios Froxylias, back from injury and international duty, was then introduced after 65 minutes and it didn’t take long for the Cypriot to make his mark.

After controlling Kyle Hutton’s pass to him on the right hand side, the playmaker took a few touches to get away from Joe Cardle and Jason Talbot and smashed the ball into the far corner, giving Murdoch absolutely no chance.

It was a goal of the season contender, not just for Dumbarton, but for the league as a whole.

Dunfermline made a host of attacking changes which put Dumbarton under pressure for the final 15 minutes, however it left them vulnerable at the back and had Sons picked a better pass in the final third then they could have wrapped the game up.

The attacking threat proved to be too much, however, as with just two minutes remaining Clark nodded in at the back post, just after Gallacher made a great save to deny Cardle.

There was still time for nearly even more magic from Froxy, but a Dunfermline defender headed his goalbound free-kick clear with the last touch of the game.

Sons are back in action tonight against Queen of the South at the Rock, and face St Mirren on Saturday.