An inquiry into the George Square bin lorry crash has heard the driver also failed to notify his previous employers, First Bus, about fainting and dizzy spells.

The Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) – which resumed today to hear its ninth day of evidence – was this morning shown driver Harry Clarke’s health declaration form dating back to 2008 when he began working with the bus company.

One of the questions on the form asks if her has suffered from fainting, fits, seizures, blackouts or dizziness and Mr Clarke has answered 'no'.

The inquiry heard on Friday afternoon that the driver told his doctor he felt dizzy in 1976.

A catalogue of almost 30 entries in his medical record was also revealed, including reports of vertigo, anxiety, depression, lethargy, stress, and 'vasovagal' or fainting.

Dorothy Bain QC put it to Geraldine Ham, an HR manager at Glasgow City Council: “In answering no to this question that’s not correct is it?” Ms Ham replied: “No, it’s not correct.” Referring to Mr Clarke’s response to similar questions from the council, Ms Bain added: “Similar to the way he answered questions which were asked of him in 2010?” Ms Ham replied: “Yes.” The manager was also asked if she thought it would be worthwhile to review the council’s contract of employment to give a greater focus on the importance of fully disclosing any relevant health issues.

She replied: “I believe that should be considered.” The inquiry also heard evidence that Mr Clarke attended his induction with the council before bosses had received his references.

Erin McQuade, 18, her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and his 69-year-old wife Lorraine, all from Dumbarton, died when a bin lorry lost control in Queen Street and George Square on December 22 last year.

Stephanie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both from Glasgow and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, were also killed when the truck mounted the pavement before crashing into the side of the Millennium Hotel. The council bin lorry was being driven by Henry Clarke, known as Harry.

Witnesses reported seeing him “slumped” over the wheel, unconscious, as the runaway lorry ploughed into pedestrians.

The driver reported feeling dizzy on a number of occasions as well as vertigo, anxiety, depression, lethargy, stress, and “vasovagal” or fainting.

In the first entry detailed, 38 years before the tragedy, he told his doctor he felt “dizzy while bending”.

The FAI heard that in 1989 he fainted while driving for Tennent’s Caledonian.

In 1994 he reported feeling dizzy with “pain in his chest and palpitations” and was referred to a specialist.

And in 2003, when he was the driver of an oil tanker, he told his doctor that he was suffering from “dizziness” and “dullness of hearing”.

He was told to stop driving until he was seen at a follow up appointment.

In 2009, while working as a bus driver with First Bus, he was signed off with stress after telling his doctor he felt “irritable and anxious”.

The most recent episode detailed was 2010 when Mr Clarke is said to have passed out behind the wheel of a bus in Glasgow.

First Bus inspector John Stewart previously told the inquiry Mr Clarke reported “blacking out for a couple of minutes” in the stationary bus.

But medical records show Mr Clarke told his doctor he passed out in a hot canteen.