A DRUG dealer who supplied a teenager with ecstasy that tragically killed her has been jailed for a ‘vicious’ Alexandria bottle attack carried out while he should have been behind bars.

Barry Rainey had been released early from the sentence he was given for supplying Bonhill girl Demi Campbell with lethal “Green Rolex” pills when he smashed a bottle over a man’s head. 

He left his victim badly injured and scarred for life after attacking him on June 24 this year in Alexander Street.

The 26-year-old was jailed for three years in October 2013 for supplying Demi, 18, with the killer tablets, which contained a substance known as Doctor Death.

But he was released from Low Moss prison in January this year – around a year and a half after he was first remanded in custody.

And just five months after being granted early release from the prison, he carried out the bottle attack. 

Fiscal depute Sarah Healing told Dumbarton Sheriff Court the assault stemmed from a court case involving the victim and a female friend of Rainey’s and took place when Rainey spotted him in the street.

The court heard the complainer had been walking towards Alexander Street with friends after a day spent drinking in a local park. Rainey then chased his victim down despite pleas for him to ‘leave it’ from his female friend. 

Rainey hit the victim with a bottle before kicking him several times and threatening him with more violence. The attacker then ran away. 

The court heard a woman living near the scene had heard a male voice say “I will kill you for what you’ve done.”

The victim was taken by ambulance to the Royal Alexandra Hospital, in Paisley, where 10 stitches were needed to seal four cuts to the side of his forehead. 

Rainey was later detained and initially denied the assault but later admitted his guilt.

Sentence was deferred so he could be assessed by social workers and Rainey returned to the dock this week to learn his fate.

Defence solicitor Maurice Smyth said Rainey, a father-of-two, had got a job as a removal man after being released from prison and had enjoyed his first taste of full-time employment.

He said Rainey’s female friend had been caused distress by the court case against her and Rainey took it upon himself to get involved with the man, as he was her alleged victim.

Sheriff William Gallacher noted that Rainey’s three-year sentence for supplying Demi Campbell with the deadly fake ecstasy did not expire until July 11 next year and that he could send him back to prison for the remainder of that sentence.

But he opted not to return Rainey to prison to serve the rest of the unexpired portion and only imposed a fresh jail term.

As he did so, he said: “The unexpired portion is not a conviction for violence it is, I understand, under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

“You have a disgraceful criminal record.

“This had a very significant impact on the victim and there is no option but to impose on you a custodial sentence.”

He jailed Rainey for 32 months, reduced from 40 as he admitted his guilt, and backdated the sentence to July 21, when he was first remanded in custody.

The length of sentence and backdating it to July means Rainey could be free in a year.

He also made Rainey, of Bonhill, the subject of a Supervised Release Order “to protect the public.”

The order will see Rainey supervised by social workers for a year upon his release from prison.

As he was led to the cells to begin his sentence Rainey, who was dressed in a green Hugo Boss polo shirt, was heard to say “32 months!” and laugh to another man who was being brought in to court in handcuffs.

Demi Campbell died after taking the pills at a house party in Alexandria on July 9, 2013. 

Rainey also sold the fatal drugs at a dance music festival at Braehead Arena, Glasgow, in June 2013, dealing £410 worth of the pills over a five-week period.