A seven-year-old Bonhill boy has been hailed a super hero after saving his sister's life when she choked on a chocolate button.

Quick thinking Harry Crossan came to the rescue when little sister Evie, 2, became seriously distressed with the sweet stuck in her throat.

Crucially, Harry remembered lifesaving advice given a year previously at a course in his school - Bonhill Primary - and thumped Evie on the back a couple of times which cleared the obstruction.

Mum Debbie who was upstairs at their home in Nobleston Estate, Alexandria, heard Harry shouting that Evie was choking and ran down to the living room fearing the worst.

The shocked mum found little Evie showing classic signs of choking - unable to make any sound or cry, and arms flailing.

When the button dislodged thanks to Harry's prompt action, Evie started screaming and her eyes filled with tears.

Now Harry's life-saving actions have been praised in a special ceremony at Bonhill Primary School when he was presented with a certificate by Kirsty McElroy, a training co-ordinator with West Dunbartonshire Council, who taught first aid skills at the course attended by Harry, his mum and big brother Bailey, 11.

Sheenah Nelson, Heartstart co-ordinator for the Rotary Club of Helensburgh Garelochside, also presented Harry with a certificate of recognition from the British Heart Foundation and Rotary.

This week Debbie, 39, a support worker with adults with learning disabilities, told the Reporter of the dramatic incident which happened at the start of October.

She said: "When he came in from school I gave Harry and Evie chocolate milk and buttons at the breakfast bar like I have done hundreds of times before.

"I went upstairs to hang up some washing and heard Harry shouting something about Evie choking. Then his voice changed and he was shouting loudly, 'mum, Evie's really, really choking'.

"I ran downstairs and found her unable to cry or say anything and her arms were flailing. A couple of seconds later and I think her face would have gone blue. It was really scary.

"But thanks to Harry hitting her back the obstruction cleared. But she was really upset, she was crying and her eyes filled with tears.

I asked him 'how did you know what to do?' He said 'don't you remember we went to a first aid course at school'?

"It was then I realised he had remembered the advice on how to help someone who is choking, even though it was a year ago.

"I do believe he saved her life thanks to his quick thinking - at least he saved her from a lot of trauma."

"But as is typical with Harry, he stayed cool as a cucumber. I don't think he realised the importance what he had done.

Sometimes he is oblivious to his surroundings - he lives in 'Harry's World - but he obviously must have been paying attention when he went to the first aid course.

"He loves super heroes like Captain America and Batman, with Spider Man being his favourite. He is a real wee super hero to myself and his dad Gordon. We are very proud of him."

And primary three pupil Harry, who wants to be a policeman when he leaves school, told the Reporter: "It was a bit scary at the time but I am glad I remembered the things they taught us at the course."

First aid coach Kirsty said: "It's fantastic that a year after the course Harry remembered what to do when someone is choking.

"The course emphasises that when this happens people should keep calm and have the confidence to take action - exactly what Harry did.

"It's amazing he had the confidence to act in this way."

Bonhill Primary Head Teacher Maria Seery said: “We’re all incredibly proud of Harry. His bravery and quick thinking certainly deserve to be honoured with an award.

"While we hope no other pupils will have to face up to what Harry endured, it just goes to show how important it is to teach our children these important skills. Well done Harry!”