Exactly one year after the tragic fire at Cameron House Hotel in Loch Lomond, which claimed the lives of two hotel guests, there are still no definitive answers about the cause of the blaze.

West Dunbartonshire MP Martin Docherty-Hughes is now calling for an urgent update on the investigation into the fire which caused the death of Richard Dyson, 38, and Simon Midgely, 32.

Owners of the hotel plan to mark the anniversary of the fire with a private commemoration today (Tuesday, December 18).

Mr Docherty Hughes, said: "On the one year anniversary of the fire at Cameron House my thoughts are with the families of those who tragically lost their lives.

"This was a devastating fire and it’s vital that a full and proper investigation into the cause and circumstances is completed so that any lessons which emerge can be acted upon.

"The families deserve answers and I would urge the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal to provide clarity on the progress of enquiries into the fire.

"The full facts about what happened on that tragic day must be made clear as quickly as possible."

The blaze spread fast through the 18th century building just before Christmas last year.

Mr Midgley, a travel journalist and PR manager, and Mr Dyson, a freelance TV producer, were on a winter break in Scotland, but the couple, who had travelled there from London, are understood to have been trapped as the fire destroyed the upper floors of the hotel.

One of the men was pronounced dead at the scene and the other passed away later at Paisley's Royal Alexandria Hospital.

More than 70 firefighters tried to extinguish the flames when the fire took hold in the early hours of the morning on December 18, and 200 guests were evacuated, many of them wearing bathrobes.

Simon Midgely's mum Jane, from Nottinghamshire, has previously expressed her frustration about the length of time it's taking to carry out the investigation.

She previously said: "My heart is absolutely broken. I have hundreds of questions I want answered."

Dumbarton MSP Jackie Baillie also understands that people want answers now.

She said: “I know that people will, rightly, be frustrated by the unanswered questions surrounding the fatal fire at Cameron House last Christmas.

"My thoughts are with the families of the victims at this difficult time of year.

"I understand that Police Scotland have sent their initial report to the Crown Office and that work is ongoing across a number of agencies to ensure that all evidence is gathered and that all questions are answered.

"This will take time, but it is important to get this right.

"I want to thank our hard working police officers for all that they have done during the course of the investigation and for the role they have played in supporting the victims’ families.”

A Crown Office spokesman said: “The Procurator Fiscal has received reports in connection with the deaths of Simon Midgely and Richard Dyson at the Cameron House Hotel, Loch Lomond on 18 December 2017.

“The investigation into the death by Police Scotland, under the direction of the Scottish Fatalities Investigation Unit (SFIU), is ongoing and the families will continue to be kept updated in relation to any significant developments."

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "The police investigation is ongoing."

The Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) received death reports following the incident and a fire investigation report from Scottish Fire and Rescue Service earlier in the year. These were not prosecution reports.

The investigation by Police Scotland and other agencies continues, and the COPFS has not yet received final reports from them.

Plans to rebuild the fire damaged section of Cameron House were submitted last month to Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority.