TWO men who attacked another over allegations of an affair are facing lengthy jail sentences.

James Paton, 33, and David Till, 32, pleaded guilty at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last week to assault to severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

Fiscal depute Kevin Doherty said there was "background" to the incident from "ill feeling" between the victim and Till.

He told the court: "There was the suggestion of infidelity on the part of the complainer's partner with Mr Till, so not exactly on friendly terms."

Everyone involved had been drinking ahead of the incident on May 2 this year when the victim went to his partner's home in Woodside Crescent, Bonhill.

"He was not best pleased to see his partner standing outside her home in the company of Mr Paton and Mr Till. They were just talking. Neither the complainer nor the accused were happy to see each other.

"Abusive remarks were exchanged. That escalated with Mr Till assaulting the complainer."

Till grabbed the man, pulling him over a fence, punching him to the head and body.

He banged the victim's head on the ground, lifted him by the body and threw him on to the ground, landing on his back.

Paton then joined in and both men punched and kicked their victim to the head and body while he was on the ground.

Both attackers left with the woman and it was a neighbour who called police, alarmed by the "ferocity" of the attack.

The victim was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital where he needed six stitches for a laceration above his left eye. He also had a laceration to his left ear and bruising to his legs and head. Doctors confirmed he would have permanent scarring.

When interviewed by police, Till replied: "Not guilty."

Paton told them: "I wasn't there, it wasn't me."

Defence solicitor Kenny Clark said Paton, Till and the woman were "verbally assailed" when the victim got out of the taxi.

Sheriff Maxwell Hendry pointed out Paton didn't do anything to stop the assault by Till and then joined in. Paton was let out of his most recent prison time last October.

Till, represented by solicitor Brian McGuire, was released from a 30-month jail sentence just 12 days before the May attack.

He had been in a relationship with the woman and Mr McGuire said: "Notwithstanding that, the relationship with the complainer seemed to have continued."

Till had encountered the victim at the shops earlier but had ignored him when sober. He later intervened when the man was being abusive to the woman.

Sheriff Hendry called for reports on both men, currently residents of Low Moss Prison, with a view to putting them on supervised release after their prison terms. They will be sentenced on August 5.