A JURY has unanimously convicted a man who launched a furious attack outside Dumbarton's JobCentre.

Steven Palmer, 35, grabbed his victim by the clothing, repeatedly struck him with a bottle, knocked him to the ground, punched him on the head, and struck him on the body with a rucksack, all to his injury and permanent disfigurement.

It took two and a half years from the offence on April 20, 2017, to get to a two-day trial at Dumbarton Sheriff Court last week.

Lengthy CCTV footage from inside and outside the Meadowbank Street offices as well as a mobile phone video captured the incident.

Palmer's defence solicitor didn't ask a single question of any witnesses. Instead he argued there was reasonable doubt whether Palmer was in fact the man in the grey hoodie in footage.

Fiscal depute Kevin Doherty told the jury the victim of the attack had been going about his business, sitting down for an extended period of time with a member of staff at the JobCentre.

He then leaves and is immediately attacked by Palmer.

Mr Doherty said: "He told you he was repeatedly struck in the head with a bottle. Independent witnesses all paint quite a graphic accounts of that same attack with a bottle.

"It's quite plain from mobile phone footage that he is injured."

One witness intervened and Palmer was seen on video moving away as the witness offered first aid.

Mr Doherty told the jury evidence came from multiple sources and was not challenged by Palmer's defence.

The defence solicitor agreed his client gave no evidence in the case and he asked no questions of witnesses.

The lawyer said: "He has chosen to use his absolute right to remain silent. You will notice I have not asked a single question. There has been very little that has been in dispute.

"It's not disputed an assault took place and [the complainer] was a victim of the assault.

"The Crown had failed to prove the identity of the person in the grey hoodie. Several other witnesses described the assault but were not able to identify the male individual."

During deliberations, the jury asked to see the mobile phone video and the last minutes of the 14-minute CCTV footage.

Palmer, of Raglan Street, North Woodside, Glasgow, denied the charge. The jury of nine men and six women delivered their guilty verdict later that day.

Sheriff Maxwell Hendry deferred sentence to December 13.