A PET owner has issued a warning after her dog suffered an allergic reaction to loch water.

The local dog owner, who would prefer not to be named, took her pup Kobe for a walk in Balloch Park on Monday, July 5 and allowed him to have a swim in Loch Lomond.

The next morning, however, they woke up to find Kobe with red and inflamed eyes, which a vet has put down to the presence of bacteria in the loch water.

The incident happened a week after the Reporter shared the story of three children who were left with a nasty case of “swimmer’s itch” after playing in parasiteinfected water near Ross Priory.

Both the children and Kobe needed to be treated with steroids to reduce the swelling and itchiness.

Children and pets who swim in the loch should immediately be towel dried and showered off at home.