A MAN who hurled a stone at a Dumbarton dessert shop worker and then tried to goad the shop’s neighbour into a fight has been released back into the community.

Dumbarton Sheriff Court heard how Brian Robertson, formerly of the town’s Glencairn Road, attended Gelatoburger in Cardross Road on April 27, this year, and randomly began challenging one of the workers to a fight.

On being asked to leave, he picked up a vape; he was told to put it down put dropped it on the floor and demanded that a witness pick it up.

On eventually leaving the shop, Robertson found a stone and threw it towards a worker at the shop, hitting them on the head.

Moments later he came back with a black plastic bucket and started hitting the front door of the shop.

The court heard that around 15 minutes later, 31-year-old Robertson was standing outside the home of a man who lived close to Gelatoburger and was heard trying to entice the man to leave the property to get him to fight, shouting “come outside, you p*** b*****d”.

Robertson then picked up a child’s scooter and hit a window at the property with it, and only left the scene when he was told police had been called.

The court also heard details of a separate incident in which police were asked to attend the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow on December 22 last year, when Robertson was present and appeared under the influence of alcohol.

Procurator fiscal Daisy Bentley told the court that Robertson began shouting “f*****g mon then” before being escorted from the hospital and taken inside a police car, where he began headbutting the passenger side door.

Cops warned him about his behaviour, but he ignored them and instead shouted “f*****g wee cow” at one of the officers.

He also said: “I’m a f*****g lion. I will blow your car up with your kids in it.”

He responded to all the police’s questions by saying only: “F*** off.”

Robertson, who appeared from custody at the hearing on July 26, had previously pleaded guilty to acting in an aggressive manner by repeatedly kicking and headbutting the inside of a police car, shouting and swearing, uttering threats of violence and challenging cops to a fight.

Sentence had been deferred to last week’s hearing for a background social work report.

Scott Adair, defending, said the report was “full and detailed” in describing Robertson’s background and difficulties.

Mr Adair added: “Towards the beginning of 2022 there was a decline in his mental health that caused him to be taking more alcohol and drugs.

“He has ongoing contact with his mental health worker whilst being in custody.

“It is surprising, given his record, but [the report recommends] he can be worked with whilst in the community.”

For the QEUH incident, Robertson was placed on a community payback order with 12 months of social work supervision, with a conduct requirement to attend alcohol, drugs and mental health counselling.

Sentencing for the first matter was deferred until September for a drug treatment and testing order assessment to be completed.

Addressing Robertson after sentencing Sheriff John Hamilton said: “I am not imposing unpaid work. I want to get you out and see if we can get you some intense supervision and support to begin to address your alcohol, drugs and mental health issues.

“The initial stage is to get you in a better place.”