A MAN who broke someone's jaw at a train station and then abused police and paramedics has been jailed for a year.

Scott McCallion, 24, previously pleaded guilty to attempting to strike a man on the head with a bottle and repeatedly punching and kicking him on the head to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and permanent impairment.

He obstructed paramedics and uttered threatening and abusive remarks. These were aggravated by prejudice related to sexual orientation.

And he further assaulted a police officer by prodding him to the abdomen under his body armour.

Appearing from custody at Dumbarton Sheriff Court on February 13, McCallion was on two bail orders at the time of the incident.

Fiscal depute Megan Dow told the court that at 6.27am, McCallion arrived at Alexandria rail station and attacked his victim, dragging him to the ground, throwing punches and attempting to strike him to the head with a bottle.

They continued fighting. He repeatedly kicked the man to the face, resulting in his jaw being broken.

At 6.49am, a witness in a nearby store was asked to call police. Shortly after, the victim came in covered in blood.

McCallion shouted at him: "You hit me with a bottle, what did you expect me to do?"

McCallion had a head injury and was taken by ambulance to hospital.

But en route and at the hospital, he was abusive to staff. He called one a "fat r****d" and "you're nothing but a fat m***o".

He prodded an officer to the stomach under his body armour.

McCallion was treated with three staples to the head. But his victim had a broken jaw and was kept in hospital for surgery. There was also a chip on a back tooth.

His defence solicitor his client was jailed for six months on October 2 last year for a separate offence, then 23 weeks on October 18 at Stirling Sheriff Court.

He said McCallion - listed in court papers as a prisoner of Low Moss - served in the army for four years from when he was 17 and had "positive support from friends and family, a number of whom are in court".

The lawyer said: "He has had time to reflect on what is entirely unacceptable behaviour on these charges.

"He reflects he is wasting his own time in custody. He accepts you have no further option than a custodial sentence."

Sheriff Maxwell Hendry said: "On June 11, while subject to two bail orders, you attempted to hit this man with a bottle and repeatedly struck him to the head.

"Kicking to the head is something the court looks on very seriously. Your behaviour thereafter to police and paramedics was appalling. You should be ashamed of yourself."

He was jailed for 12 months to start at the end of his current custodial sentences.