A MAN chased his partner with a large kitchen knife when a Valentine's date went horribly wrong.

John Ewing, from Barrhead, stopped taking his medication for serious mental health issues before the incident in Dumbarton earlier this year.

Dumbarton Sheriff Court heard on June 4 how the 26-year-old had been in a relationship for about five years with the woman.

Fiscal depute Euan Nicholson said they had gone to a rental property, Gleddoch View, in Dumbarton, for her birthday and Valentine's Day.

At around 7pm, an argument broke out an escalated until the woman ran from the property in her bare feet.

"He pursued her in position of a knife," said the prosecutor.

CCTV captured her running out and frantically knocking on another door before Ewing catches up.

He made a gesture while holding the knife, but did not make contact with the partner.

"She is seen pleading for him to desist," said Mr Nicholson. "The door is answered and the complainer is allowed in and he is told he is not allowed in."

When police arrived, Ewing was immediately hostile and began punching himself in the face, saying he had mental health issues.

The kitchen knife was found nearby.

Ewing pleaded guilty last month to being in possession of a knife and to shouting. swearing, kicking a door and threatening to strike the woman on the body with the blade.

His defence solicitor said his client had a number of "struggles" with both mental and physical health.

"His behaviour can be very erratic at times," he said. "He was on medication - he stopped taking it around the time of the offence.

"He had booked a holiday park for him and his girlfriend. He was feeling in a good place. He had been taking medication for a number of years.

"There was an argument throughout the day. Both had been drinking."

The solicitor said when the argument got worse and his partner left, he picked up the knife and ran after her "because he didn't know where she was running to".

"He wishes to stress he would never have harmed the complainer," he added. "He does accept full responsibility despite what's written in the [social work] report. He accepts these were his own actions.

"He wishes this incident had never happened. It's a reprehensible offence - he doesn't shy away from that."

"They are no longer in a relationship."

Sheriff Frances McCartney imposed a community payback order as a direct alternative to custody.

Ewing will be under supervision of social workers for 18 months. He must take drug and mental health counselling as directed.

He was put under a curfew from 7pm to 7am for 15 weeks.

The sheriff also banned him from any contact with his ex for a year.

"This is a serious matter - the complainer must have been terrified," she said.