Vale of Leven 4

Forth Wanderers 1

VALE of Leven Juniors got back to winning ways in the Central District Second Division with a comfortable win over an in-form Wanderers side.

Visitors Wanderers came to Millburn Park with a four-match winning streak to their name.

But that record went up in smoke as 'Vale took maximum points thanks to their superior performance.

Vale could have been ahead within a minute of the start, only a last ditch Gary McMullen tackle preventing Scott Arthur from getting away his shot whilst in a great position.

Sean Stewart was next to try his luck, meeting a headed clearance from a corner on the volley but he fired wide.

Forth keeper David Cherrie then saved from Arthur at the expense of a corner as the hosts continued their blistering start.

And Craig Cowan met the corner on the volley but the ball was cleared from the line for yet another corner.

Cherrie then turned over a header from Kenneth Wilson in the sixth minute as the onslaught continued.

At the other end Willie McLaren sent Tony Traynor through but a home defender read the danger and turned the ball out for a corner.

Vale keeper Scott Morrison was called into action to save from Stevie Kane, before McLaren saw a header drift harmlessly wide.

But Vale of Leven drew first blood on the 15 minute mark as the ball was played short to Mark Pawsey and the midfielder's cross was headed home by Sean Stewart.

Minutes later of could have been 2-0 when Stewart was sent clear but his resultant effort of goal flew wide of the post.

In the second 45 the visitors forced a number of corners before a penalty shout was turned down by the referee.

And approaching the hour mark Vale of Leven doubled their advantage.

Pawsey played in Cowan and he made no mistake for 2-0.

Forth redoubled their efforts and a surging McLaren run saw his final shot deflected for a corner, then a dangerous John Rennie thunderbolt poleaxed Stevie Kane as it headed toward goal.

McLaren then swung in an inviting cross but there was no-one at the back post to take advantage.

Vale made it 3-0 after 63 minutes when Josh Grace followed up to bundle the ball home after Cherrie had saved the initial shot.

Wanderers made it 3-1 when sub Taylor Scott took a touch before firing the ball home off the post.

Late on Pawsey sent a volley wide before a superb individual goal from Stewart sealed the points for the hosts.

Picking the ball up in his own half, he skipped past a couple of challenges before cutting inside and firing home.

Vale are back in action this Saturday when they play host to Gartcairn, kick-off 2pm.