Vale of Leven manager Hugh Hamill was disappointed with his side’s second-half display as they lost to Port Glasgow 3-2 in the last game of the Sectional League Cup.

Vale took a 2-0 lead into half-time, thanks to Andrew Clark and Scott Cowan.

But a penalty after the hour mark and a quickfire double gave Port Glasgow three goals in seven minutes.

And Hamill says they need to learn how to kill teams off if they are to have aspirations of getting promotion this season.

He said:“We’re a wee bit disappointed in the result but the first half display was good – in the second half in terms of matching the desire of the opposition we should have done a bit better.

“I said it was going to be a bit of a yardstick comparing us to leagues in our team, but outfield play wise we were miles better than them, but we need to put the game beyond them, if we’d managed to get the third in then it would have been game over.”

However it was a dubious penalty call that brought Port Glasgow back into the game, and Vale goalkeeper Scott Morrison was at fault for the second and third goals.

He added: "I actually thought he was going to book the guy for diving, but he gave a penalty”

“And Scott Morrison, who is one of the most reliable keepers in junior football, I’m sure he will admit it himself was quite poor for their next two goals.

“It was a game we should have won comfortably but we ended up shooting ourselves in the foot.”

Vale of Leven begin their West of Scotland League Central District Second Division campaign away to Dunipace on Saturday, and Hamill thinks it will be a tough test for his side.

He said: “They will be decent, they’ve always been a big, strong side. I’ve been there many times over the years and I can never remember getting an easy game."

The Vale will be without Mark Pawsey, who injured his hamstring at the weekend. Captain Kenny Wilson is a doubt having missed the last three games, also from a hamstring injury Kick-off for the game at Westfield Park is 2pm.