Douglas Smith League Cup semi-final St Mungos 0 Dumbarton Academy 0 (Accies win 5-3 on penalties) Dumbarton Academy progressed to the final of the Douglas Smith League Cup after beating St Mungo’s on penalties at Dalziel Park on Tuesday.

Goalkeeper Andrew McGillivray saved the crucial penalty with all of their spot-kick takers also finding the back of the net.

The result means Accies have reached their third successive Douglas Smith League Cup final.

They will be hoping their previous years’ successes continue having won the cup for the last two seasons and will play Thorn Athletic in the final following their semi-final against East Kilbride YM which resulted in a similar goalless draw and a 3-2 penalty win.

The only change from the previous match saw captain Jack Buchanan return to the starting line-up following recovery from an injury.

Despite the difficult conditions, Accies’ overall first-half performance was very good.

Colin MacPhee threatened early on as his shot hit the side-netting following Andrew MacDonald’s pass into his path after five minutes.

St Mungos responded with a shot from Donald McDonald which McGillivray saved comfortably.

On 20 minutes, an opportunity came Accies way – however, Jack Buchanan’s free kick hit the wall and spun clear.

Shortly after, the effective Andrew MacDonald’s cross had St Mungos scrambling, with Martin Smart doing well to clear.

On the half-hour, a similar MacDonald cross reached Leo Dariemas who headed wide.

The second half was a more even affair. On the hour, a good exchange between St Mungos’ Daniel Docherty and McDonald saw the latter’s effort saved well by McGillivray.

Shortly afterwards, Lewis Watters’ shot flashed wide of Accies’ goal frame.

Accies then created opportunities of their own, most notably a Callum Shipcott shot narrowly going over the St Mungos bar with keeper David McKegney beaten.

The best chance of the second half came St Mungos’ way. Kevin Mooney was sent through clear of Accies’ defence. The forward beat McGillivray but then saw his shot miss the goal by inches.

Accies supporters thought they had won the game with five minutes to go, when a MacDonald header looked like it was heading goalwards but missed narrowly.