The stage was set for Dumbarton.

Hundreds of fans making the 560-mile round trip down to Shropshire to watch their team play.

With bagpipes blaring as the players walked out, Park Hall became a little Scottish haven for the evening, as the 500-odd fans who made the journey to play the Welsh champions in England made their voices heard.

Just your usual semi-final? Not a chance.

It was the Sons' first appearance in a national semi-final in more than 41 years, and it’s 121 years since they reached the final of a major competition.

Not many would have predicted the Sons would be in with a chance of lifting their first big trophy since 1883, when they beat Vale of Leven 2-1 at Hampden in a Scottish Cup final replay.

And they’ve had to do it the hard way, playing some of the toughest teams along the way.

First up, Rangers' under-20s on a sodden night back in August. A 2-1 win over of the top youth teams in the country, who have beaten the likes of Bayern Munich’s kids this season.

Connah’s Quay Nomads and Stranraer were next to fall, with free-scoring Raith Rovers comfortably dispatched at the Rock.

The Sons were underdogs, as the part-timers often are in the Scottish Championship when they take on full-time teams with far bigger budgets.

The Welsh Premier League champions The New Saints broke Ajax’s 44-year world record for the most consecutive wins last season, and regularly compete in Europe’s early stages.

It looked a tall order, especially with Dumbarton missing eight injured or cup-tied players and having to bring Liam Burt in on loan on Friday afternoon, with the new man going straight onto the bench for Saturday’s game.

The hosts rattled the crossbar within three minutes through Aeron Edwards, and continued to dominate possession throughout the game.

Sons' first real threat came on 21 minutes, but Danny Handling was unable to wriggle free of his marker and the ball trickled out of play.

The first half did little to excite the 825 supporters inside Park Hall, with Saints having the lion's share of the ball, but being unable to create many chances, with Sons proving resilient.

But that resistance was to be broken five minutes after the break.

A ball in from Ryan Brobbel down the right resulted in a scramble in the box.

Sons goalkeeper Scott Gallacher was able to get a glove to it, but the ball eventually fell to Dean Ebbe, the ex-Inverness Caley Thistle striker, who fired it into the back of the net.

But not for the first time this season, Dumbarton came from behind to secure a famous victory.

Kyle Hutton pinched the ball off the TNS midfielder, dribbling inside to then lay it off to Handling – and the former Hibs midfielder, who has endured a tough injury-ridden spell with the Sons so far, sealed his place in Dumbarton’s history books.

The 24-year-old curled in a sumptuous effort from outside of the box into the top right hand corner to send the travelling fans into raptures with 15 minutes to go.

They were heading for extra-time, a prospect most fans would have been happy about considering TNS’ dominance in the game up until now.

But Dumbarton’s own Dimitris Froxylias scored a goal that many fans will remember for years to come.

The Greek-born Cypriot rifled in a free-kick from 25 yards, sailing over the wall before dipping just at the end to nestle into the net.

With only five minutes to go, the home side piled on the pressure as they looked to avoid exiting the competition at the semi-final stage for the second consecutive year.

Gallacher made two vital stops in the final minutes of the game to make it a nervous ending.

But the stadium erupted as referee Neil Doyle blew his whistle, with Sons booking their place in the final where they will play Inverness Caley Thistle on March 24 or 25.