Dumbarton and Airdrieonians battled to a 1-1 draw in a tightly contested affair at the Penny Cars Stadium on Saturday.

Brad Spencer fired Sons ahead, but for the third time this season they couldn’t hold on to their lead as an own goal from goalkeeper Grant Adam meant that the points were shared.

Stevie Aitken’s only change from last week’s victory over Montrose saw Kyle Hutton, in against his former club, replace Stuart Carswell who hobbled off against The Gable Endies.

Celtic loanee Jack Aitchison was deemed fit to play despite picking up an eye injury in the same game and started up front for the Sons.

The game started with both sides having their fair share of corners and Dumbarton came close to finding a quick opener as Andy Dowie’s deflected effort flew just over.

Sons continued to push on but both Bobby Barr and Ross Forbes failed to test the Airdrie keeper, shooting right at David Hutton from the edge of the area.

Aitken’s men were well on top and Ryan Thomson and Aitchison both had efforts blocked inside the area after quick counter attacks from their own half.

Dumbarton’s sustained pressure and first half dominance paid off just before the half hour mark after they were quick to capitalise on the home side committing too many men forward.

After comfortably defending another threat, Sons would punish the Diamonds on the counter attack to open the scoring.

Forbes picked out Aitchison who played a clever one-two with Barr before playing in Spencer.

The former Killie man had plenty of time to compose himself and fire into the corner as the Airdrieonians defence failed to close him down.

But it seemed to be the classic game of two halves as the hosts went on to dominate the second half and take a point from the game.

Scott Stewart skipped forward from right-back and drilled an effort just wide in the first warning sign just a few minutes after the break.

Dumbarton did have a chance to double their lead after the hour mark despite the home side looking sharper.

A hopeful ball forward had Aitchison through on goal, but he couldn’t get the better of Hutton in the Diamonds goal with his effort well blocked.

And just a few minutes later Barr’s deflected effort flashed just by the post as Sons pushed for the decisive second goal.

On the 70-minute mark the hosts were level as Dale Carrick smartly played in Cammy Russell.

The substitute took a touch and fired shot off the post, that unfortunately rebounded off Adam before rolling into the net.

The outcome was unlucky, but ultimately Sons hadn’t put the game to bed after looking so comfortable during the first 45.

Airdrieonians tails were now up and fortunately for Dumbarton Russell could only fire straight at Adam this time.

Scott Allardice then made a vital block for the away side as they continued to push for a winner, and despite dominating in the first half, Sons would have been relieved to come away with a point.

Dumbarton now welcome Raith Rovers to the C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday as the only full-time side in the division visit The Rock.