Dumbarton manager Jim Duffy hailed his side’s determined performance as they twice fought back to draw 2-2 with Stenhousemuir at Ochilview on Saturday.

Two free-kicks from Ross Forbes meant that Sons picked up their first point on the road since September, cancelling out strikes from Harry Paton and Mark McGuigan.

Duffy also hailed Forbes and cursed his side’s luck as individual errors again cost them goals. He said: “I think we deserved the point.

“We’ve made a couple of errors and it’s been symptomatic of our season that we’re being punished. We never seem to get away with one.

“The response from the players was one of determination and I think that’s all you can ask for.

“But you also need that bit of ability and talent and Ross has got it.”

Due to a mix-up with the strips, both sides were wearing Stenhousemuir colours: the hosts sported their traditional maroon kit of this season, whilst Dumbarton wore the blue and white stripes that comprised Stenny’s away kit in 2017-18.

The ‘real’ Stenhousemuir would take the lead after just eight minutes as Paton was allowed to get a shot away that ended up slipping through the arms of goalkeeper Chris Smith and into the net.

Neither side took control of the game for much of the opening period with a few half chances at each end.

For the hosts, McGuigan guided a shot wide after bringing the ball down well, and for Dumbarton, Dom Thomas fired over the bar from 20 yards.

Sons levelled on the stroke of half-time when Forbes curled the ball into the net from 30 yards after Thomas was fouled.

It wasn’t his first successful free-kick this season, and it wouldn’t even be his last of the afternoon.

Dumbarton started the second period brightly but would find themselves behind again after 54 minutes.

After cheaply giving up possession from their own corner, Sons were made to pay as Seb Ross and Paton linked up well down the right hand side before finding McGuigan, who touched the ball home from close range.

Forbes was causing chaos with his corner delivery, with crosses hitting the crossbar and post, and Stuart Carswell should have nodded in on one occasion.

Kyle Hutton then side-footed over the bar from close range before substitute Ryan Thomson had a goalbound effort hacked away.

The hosts had chances to kill the game off, but Morgynn Neill failed to connect with a header at the back post and former Son Alan Cook lashed a shot wide.

Sons were given one final opportunity just as the clock ticked into the 90th minute when Bobby Barr was fouled by Conor McBrearty, who was sent off after being shown a second yellow.

Forbes didn’t let the drama faze him and his curling free-kick clipped off the post and into the net.

It was no more than Dumbarton deserved, and the hosts could have even stolen all three points with the last kick of the game, but Conor Duthie’s effort ended up just the wrong side of the post.

Sons start 2019 by welcoming Forfar Athletic to The C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday, January 5. Kick-off is at 3pm.