Dumbarton remain pointless in 2019 after Brechin City scored a last gasp winner at Glebe Park on Saturday.

Jordan Tapping scrambled the ball over the line with the last meaningful touch of the game to go level on points with Sons at the foot of League One.

With Dom Thomas’ loan deal from Kilmarnock expiring last week, Jim Duffy’s already thin side looked to be heading into the game a man lighter.

But striker Ben Armour joined on loan from Morton on Friday afternoon and made his debut from the off on Saturday.

Elsewhere, Willie Dyer was missing through illness, meaning a reshuffle at the back as Michael Paton moved to right-back with Cammy Ballantyne filling in on the opposite side.

Sons had the pick of the chances in the opening period with the first opportunity falling to Bobby Barr.

Keen to build on his double against Forfar Athletic last week, the winger confidently skipped by his man and cut in from the left before dragging his shot wide.

Dumbarton would force Brechin goalkeeper Patrick O’Neil into a save after a quarter of an hour as Ross Forbes’ free-kick fell to the feet of Ryan Thomson.

He couldn’t quite direct his effort into the corner as O’Neil pushed the ball away, but only as far as Stuart Carswell who fired over the bar from close range.

The most that was being offered by the hosts was a few crosses that keeper Chris Smith would comfortably collect.

However, on the stroke of half-time they would come the width of the crossbar away from opening the scoring as Euan Clark burst forward with his effort clipping the woodwork before going over.

In the second-half Dumbarton’s main threat would come from the left foot of Forbes, but there was nobody on the end of his dangerous free-kicks and corners.

Sons were reduced to 10 men on the hour as Paton was shown a second yellow card for a rash challenge on Smith.

The hosts never took complete control of the game despite having a man advantage, although Smith did have an effort that flashed just past the upright.

O’Neil made another impressive stop to keep out Andy Dowie’s downward header after 68 minutes which was just about the last chance that fell Dumbarton’s way.

Brechin sub Callum Hendry volleyed just wide of the post before the Hedgemen would win it in added time.

Kalvin Orsi’s corner was scrambled home by Tapping and there was just enough time for Dumbarton to take kick-off before referee Gavin Duncan blew his whistle for the final time of the afternoon.

Sons remain in eighth place with Brechin moving onto 19 points along with Dumbarton with the Angus side having a game in hand.

With Scottish Cup action taking centre stage this weekend, there is no game for Dumbarton after they were knocked out of the competition by Airdrieonians in November.

Duffy’s side are next in action at The C&G Systems Stadium against Montrose on January 26.