Dumbarton conceded late on as they were held to a 1-1 draw against Montrose at The C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday.

Trialist Boris Melingui headed Sons ahead on 83 minutes before Martin Rennie slotted home a penalty five minutes later.

Jim Duffy’s side remain without a win in 2019 as they dropped into the relegation play-off zone after Brechin City beat Raith Rovers 2-1.

Sons had two trialists in their matchday squad, one being a familiar face in goalkeeper Chris Smith, who was on the bench, and the other being goalscorer Melingui, who started up front.

Smith has appeared for Dumbarton numerous times this season as an emergency loan goalkeeper from East Kilbride, and Sons fans may remember Melingui after he won the points for his previous club, Brechin City, back in August when the Angus side won 3-2.

Melingui wasn’t the only new face in a Sons shirt as defenders David Ferguson and Henk van Schaik also came into the starting XI.

Ferguson, a full-back, joined on loan from Ayr United during the week along with centre-half Van Schaik who arrived from Premiership side Livingston.

In the first-half, Bobby Barr passed the ball into the box for Ryan Thomson, but the energetic midfielder’s shot was comfortably saved.

Grant Adam, back in the Sons line-up after a long period on the sidelines, then had to beat away a powerful strike from Paul Watson before gratefully clutching the loose ball.

The Dumbarton stopper then kept out Euan Henderson after a low effort from the Montrose man 25 minutes in.

In the second-half, The Gable Endies had a host of opportunities and would have been kicking themselves that they never took advantage.

Stuart Carswell misjudged the flight of a cross and found himself underneath the ball, but recovered well to tackle Lewis Milne and regain possession.

Adam then pushed away an effort from Henderson, with Rennie just inches away from nodding the loose ball in.

Michael Bolochoweckyj had acres of space at the back-post to volley home after a free-kick, but got the execution all wrong and the chance was gone.

Adam was again sharply off his line to keep out Graham Webster after a smart pass from Milne.

But on 83 minutes Sons would take the lead.

Ross Forbes whipped in a free-kick and Melingui’s glancing header flew into the top corner.

He was unfortunate not to double the lead a minute later but was denied by Montrose keeper Allan Fleming.

But as time ticked on, a hopeful kick forward from Montrose resulted in a penalty as sub goalie Chris Smith brought down an attacker and Rennie slotted a penalty down the middle to snatch a point for the visitors.

In added time there were a couple of nearly moments for Dumbarton, but Calum Gallacher was just inches away from heading the ball in before Barr dragged an effort wide.

Next up for Sons is a trip to face Airdrieonians at the Penny Cars Stadium on Saturday.