Dumbarton made it six games without defeat on Saturday as they overcame table toppers Arbroath 2-0 at The C&G Systems Stadium.

A first-half penalty from Ross Forbes followed by Dom Thomas’ tenth league goal of the season secured what was a comfortable win for the Sons in a game where both teams had to contend with high winds and driving rain right from the off.

The visitors came into the game as the division’s second highest top scorers, and up against the league’s second worst defence you may have expected The Lichties to show a bit more in the final third.

The most they could seriously muster up in the first-half was a dipping shot from Ryan McCord that was gratefully clutched by Grant Adam.

For Dumbarton, it was Cammy Ballantyne of all people that had their first shot on goal as the full-back quickly turned and had a go on the edge of the box, with away goalkeeper Darren Jamieson getting a hand to his low strike.

A few minutes later, a smart move involving Bobby Barr, Thomas and Ballantyne created a chance for Ben Armour but he shot right at Jamieson from 12 yards.

Read more: Sport headlines

On the half-hour, a short corner taken by Dumbarton resulted in Forbes being tripped inside the area and the Sons skipper picked himself up to drill the ball into the corner from the spot and give his side the lead for the second game running.

At the other end, Greig Spence was nearly on the end of a bouncing cross but the ball went through to Adam.

On the stroke of half-time Barr picked out Thomas on the edge of the box but his shot was right at Jamieson.

The second period was only seven minutes old when that duo of Barr and Thomas linked up again, this time resulting in a goal.

Barr smartly sent the ball through for Thomas, and he wouldn’t need a second invitation to drill the ball into the near corner and double his side’s advantage.

The visitors looked as if they would get back into the game when Bobby Linn, on 20 league goals this season, found room at the back post but David Ferguson appeared from nowhere to knock the ball behind for a corner.

Arbroath were chasing the game, thus leaving themselves vulnerable at the back for Sons to take advantage of.

And take advantage they should have done just after the hour mark, but Barr blazed over the bar after being picked out by Thomas.

The weather really started to worsen with about 15 minutes remaining and Jamieson’s kicks were rarely travelling 20 yards up the pitch as the league leaders struggled to get out of their own half, although Steven Doris did have a good opportunity with Adam racing off his line to deny him.

Substitute Michael McKenna was sent off for Arbroath with 10 minutes remaining after picking up his second yellow card after diving on the edge of the box.

Sons weathered the storm against both the elements and Arbroath to see the game out and register their third win in four to move up to seventh.

Jim Duffy’s side travel to Montrose this Saturday as they aim to extend their unbeaten run. Kick-off 3pm.