Dumbarton United 2005s extended their unbeaten run in the league as they travelled to Broomhill for a tough encounter.

Both sides have a number of games in hand and are playing catch-up on the rest of the teams in the league.

It was a strong start for the Dumbarton youngsters, however, as they went 1-0 up after only a minute when Ryan Murray played the ball through for Dominic Burns who slotted it home past the keeper into the back of the Broomhill net.

That was closely followed by Dumbarton’s second goal with Leighton Morris firing the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net after just seven minutes.

The visitors continued to dominate and scored a third on 21 minutes after fantastic link up play between Reece Beaton, Chris McGroggan and Burns, resulting in a second for Morris.

McGroggan then got on the score sheet himself two minutes later with a superb long-range effort into the top corner.

Dumbarton then finished off the half with a fifth on 30 minutes from Derek Wilson who fired it past the Broomhill keeper from a wide position.

Read more: Dumbarton United score eleven to sink St Peters Reds in cup

Shortly after the second-half started, Broomhill scored their only goal of the game 38 minutes in from a simple through ball which was slotted past Adam Daly to reduce the deficit to 5-1.

Dumbarton then went on to seal the win after fine long-range solo efforts from Flynn Kerr and McGroggan helped maintain their unbeaten run in the league with an emphatic victory.

With an impressive cup run, the 2005s haven’t seen much league action recently with last week’s match against Palace Park at New Tinto Park being their first league run out since November.

It was a quiet return as both side’s struggled to get going in the opening stages, but Dumbarton slowly grew into it as they went on to dominate possession with the Palace back four resolute.

However, McGroggan got on the end of a clever cross from Burns to open the scoring 10 minutes before the break.

The Dumbarton side dominated play after opening the scoring but a well-organised and packed Palace defence were coping with wave after wave of attack.

Morris then grabbed United’s second goal of the day with a stunning 25-yard free-kick finding the top corner to secure the points and make it a winning return.