Dumbarton came out on top against Championship opposition Dundee United in their first pre-season friendly of the 2019/20 campaign on Saturday with three trialists finding the scoresheet in a 3-2 win.

Muhammadu Faal, Joe McKee and Mati Zata secured victory for the Sons, despite Lawrence Shankland and Louis Appere equalising on two occasions for the visitors.

Six trialists started the game for Dumbarton - Fasu, McKee, Ruaridh Langan, Rico Quitongo and two from Top Level Academy, who Sons faced last week.

There was also debuts from the off for Jordan Pettigrew, Lewis Crawford, Morgyn Neill and Stefan McCluskey with Kyle Hutton, who took the captain’s armband, the only player from last season in the starting XI.

And it was Crawford who was looking to make an impact from the first whistle as he won the ball in midfield in the opening stages, skipped by a challenge, and shot from 20-yards only to see his effort float over the crossbar.

Langan found himself in a similar position soon after, and found the target, but it was a comfortable save for United keeper Deniz Mehmet.

Faal caught the eye for Dumbarton as he shot over the bar on the turn before he used his power to get in behind the United backline and hold the ball up for the onrushing McCluskey, who had an opportunity to shoot but tried to tee up a teammate and the chance was gone.

Read more: Dumbarton the only place for Carswell as he extends his stay

McKee then had a strong effort, that was headed for the top corner, pushed over the bar after a smart turn on the edge of the box.

The visitors, who were playing their second game in as many days after putting six past Brechin City on Friday night, fielded a team mixed with recognisable faces and youth players and perhaps should have taken the lead when new arrival Shankland skewed a shot wide from 12-yards after half an hour.

The second-half was only three minutes old when Faal’s persistence paid off and he found the back of the net.

Crawford’s drilled cross was rebounded into a busy penalty area before falling into the path of the former Dulwich Hamlet man who poked the ball beyond the keeper.

The Arabs equalised on the hour mark when Shankland headed in at the back post, despite it looking like Sons had got off the hook after a good save to Jordan Pettigrew’s left with an effort also crashing off the post.

But Jim Duffy’s side took control of the game once more with McKee taking his time before emphatically finishing past the goalkeeper after being slid in by Crawford.

United equalised for the second time just over 10 minutes later when Appere slotted a penalty home after a pull from Neill.

But, Sons had the final say when Zata capitalised on hesitation at the back before driving inside and lifting the ball home.

Click here for all the latest news in Dumbarton and the Vale

Sons next welcome Hamilton Accies to The C&G Systems Stadium tonight with a 7.30pm kick-off, before the competitive action begins on Saturday at Galabank against Annan Athletic in the Betfred Cup.