Dumbarton suffered defeat for the first time in over a month as Airdrieonians ran out 1-0 winners at the C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday.

Paul McKay clinched the winner for the Diamonds on the stroke of half-time.

Sons had numerous chances to take something from the game in the second period but were ultimately denied by the crossbar and a visiting goalkeeper in inspired form.

READ MORE: Sons boss refusing to criticise side despite Airdrie defeat

Conor Brennan was called into action in the opening seconds as he made a fine one-handed stop to push away McKay’s close-range header.

The loose ball was then knocked in by former Dumbarton man Calum Gallagher, however it was from an offside position and the goal was chalked off.

For Sons, Stuart Carswell had an effort from range comfortably saved by David Hutton as both teams battled against windy conditions.

Airdrieonians, lead by former Dumbarton manager Ian Murray in the dugout, took the lead on 44 minutes when a corner swirled in the air and was punched by Brennan to the feet of McKay who superbly finished on the half-volley and high into the net from 12 yards.

A moment of controversy followed as Sons thought they had grabbed an immediate equaliser.

McCluskey got on the end of Rico Quitongo’s lofted cross and had his attempt pushed away by the arm of Hutton, although only as far as the onrushing Carswell who smashed the ball towards goal and through the legs of the goalkeeper who then picked the ball up from behind him as play was allowed to continue.

Sons fans and players were incensed as the ball appeared to cross the line but there was nothing they could do about the decision as the half came to a close.

Isaac Layne should have grabbed an equaliser after the break but could only hit the crossbar from a couple of yards out.

Layne then did well to hold the ball up and release McCluskey down the right, but the ex-Morton man couldn’t pick out a Sons shirt with his low cross.

READ MORE: Sons battle back against Stranraer to secure back-to-back victories

McCluskey and Reghan Tumlity flashed efforts wide as Dumbarton continued to push forward, thus leaving them sometimes short at the back with Gallagher and Kyle MacDonald missing golden chances.

It looked like Sons might make their opponents pay for the misses, but just when substitute Matthew Shiels looked to have grabbed Dumbarton a well-deserved point, Diamonds keeper Hutton made a match-winning stop.

From the resulting corner the keeper compounded the misery when he saved Shiels’ looping volley as Sons now turn their attention to an away clash with top of the table East Fife on Saturday.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport