Dumbarton lost their second home game on the bounce on Saturday as Clyde came from behind to take all three points back to Cumbernauld.

PJ Crossan had Sons ahead on the stroke of half-time but strikes from Chris McStay and Chris Johnston completed the turnaround as Jim Duffy’s side dropped to seventh in the League One table.

There was one change to the line-up from last week’s game against East Fife with Crossan replacing the injured Kyle Hutton.

In the first couple of minutes Clyde frontman Darren Smith blasted a shot towards goal from 20 yards with Conor Brennan having to tip the ball over his crossbar.

Despite Clyde enjoying most of the ball in the opening stages, the best chance fell to Dumbarton when Ruaridh Langan got on the end of Stefan McCluskey’s low cross and forced visiting goalkeeper David Mitchell into a smart save with his foot.

READ MORE: Sons let two-goal lead slip against league leaders East Fife

Crossan and McStay then flashed shots off target for their respective sides before Isaac Layne shot wide from the edge of the box after McCluskey had won the ball by putting pressure on the Bully Wee defence in the final third.

It could have been considered a bit of a shock when Sons took the lead on 42 minutes but Clyde were unable to stop Crossan, with the forward picking the ball up on the half-way line and skipping by weak challenges from Johnston and Barry Cuddihy before driving into the box and firing the ball past Mitchell from a tight angle.

That was the last action of the opening period with the second-half beginning with a powerful drive from McCluskey being pushed away by Mitchell.

Stuart Carswell had Brennan to thank on 50 minutes as he blocked from Smith after possession had been given up cheaply by the Sons Skipper.

The Northern Irish shot stopper was on top form again just a few minutes later as he denied former Dumbarton man Martin McNiff from close range.

Sons were dealt a blow just before the hour mark when Ryan McGeever hobbled off with a hamstring injury which forced Carswell to move into centre-back.

Brennan had already made a couple of vital stops, but there was nothing he could do about the equaliser on 61 minutes as a free-kick was only cleared as far as McStay, whose low effort nestled into the bottom corner.

READ MORE: Jim Duffy admits he would have taken East Fife point if offered before the match

And the turnaround was complete with a quarter of an hour to go when another former Dumbarton player, Johnston, found the bottom corner from 15 yards in a busy penalty area.

Mark Lamont then smashed the post from close range as Clyde looked to seal the points.

They should have been left to rue that miss as both Langan and Layne failed to get on the end of tantalising crosses from Reghan Tumlity in the dying stages.

Sons were left frustrated after failing to see a game out from a winning position for the second time in as many games as they now gear up for the visit of Forfar Athletic this Saturday.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport