Goalkeepers were on top form at Stair Park on Saturday as Dumbarton and Stranraer played out a goalless draw.

Both Max Currie and Conor Brennan pulled off several smart saves throughout as the sides cancelled each other out in the stalemate.

Adam Frizzell excelled on his debut against Forfar two weeks ago with two well-taken goals and the Kilmarnock loanee looked to pick up right where he left off as he battered the ball towards the bottom corner from 25-yards out only for Currie to push the ball behind and frustrate Sons – not for the last time of the afternoon.

READ MORE: New boy Adam Frizzell opens up after perfect debut weekend

In fact, the Stranraer number one looked to outdo himself each time, this time getting a hand to Isaac Layne’s powerful effort from 12-yards that was destined for the same bottom corner that his teammate had lined up just seven minutes earlier.

At the other end, Brennan had to be alert himself to dive low and push away James Hilton’s angled drive with captain Stuart Carswell then making a vital interception to prevent former Son Andy Stirling rolling the loose ball into the net.

On 26 minutes Currie came to Stranraer’s rescue once again to claw away Morgyn Neill’s looping header from Joe McKee’s corner as Dumbarton fans began to think that the game had 1-0 Stranraer and a man-of -the-match performance from the goalkeeper written all over it.

And it would have been 1-0 to the home side 33 minutes in had Brennan not kept out Hilton once more, this time diving to his right to push the low strike that bobbled towards goal on the awkward Stair Park surface.

As the half came to a close there was still time for Brennan to keep out another attempt from Hilton, again getting down quickly to hold on to the ball as the duo of Hilton and Stirling continued to torment the Sons backline.

There were fewer chances in the second-half but even when McKee drilled the ball towards goal and finally found a way past Currie, there was Stranraer defender Lee Hamilton to hook the ball off the line as it remained 0-0.

The best chance fell of the second 45 fell to Layne when Currie could only push McKee’s free-kick as far as the Sons striker but he slashed the ball wide from the close-range under the close attention of Hamilton.

READ MORE: Sons throw away lead for second week running

In the 92nd minute, there was a glorious chance for Sons to win it as Frizzell lead a three on two breakaway before feeding the ball to substitute Stefan McCluskey, but his attempt lacked conviction and Currie palmed the ball behind to safety.

Matthew Shiels nodded the ball towards goal from the resulting corner, but after some of the saves he had pulled off earlier in the afternoon, it was an easy take for the Blues goalkeeper.

Jim Duffy’s side will be left satisfied after keeping their first clean sheet of the league campaign, but will have left Stair Park cursing the name of Currie.

Dumbarton are back home at the C&G Systems Stadium this weekend where Peterhead are the visitors with the game kicking off at 3pm.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport