Ryan McGeever’s second-half goal was the difference between Dumbarton and Peterhead at the C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday as Sons secured their second clean sheet in as many games.

Both sides had chances in a game that was played in challenging conditions and Sons were thankful to see the normally prolific striker Rory McAllister have what he would consider an off day for the visitors.

There was one change to the team that battled to a 0-0 against Stranraer last week as McGeever replaced Ruaridh Langan, allowing Sons to go back to a more balanced back line with Stuart Carswell moving into midfield and McGeever partnering Morgyn Neill in the heart of defence.

READ MORE: Goalkeepers to the rescue as Dumbarton draw away to Stranraer

The first couple of chances fell to the Blue Toon as Derek Lyle skied a shot over the bar from 12 yards and former Son Scott Brown’s low drive was well held by Conor Brennan.

Dumbarton’s best chance came from the right foot of Joe McKee as the midfielder attempted to catch out Greg Fleming in the Peterhead goal with a free-kick but the keeper did well to push it away.

McAllister then had two opportunities in as many minutes but dragged the ball wide of either post on each occasion before the visitor’s best chance fell to Brown on 17 minutes as he had his effort from 12 yards crucially blocked by Brennan.

For Sons, PJ Crossan fizzed a shot over the cross bar from outside the box and McKee sent Isaac Layne through on goal but he shot wide.

The half petered out with little else in the way of goal mouth action but Sons wouldn’t have to wait long for the decisive moment of the game in the second 45.

Layne was picked out by McKee and, with his back to goal, the Sons top-scorer created space and put the ball across goal for McGeever to tap home from close range.

READ MORE: New boy Adam Frizzell opens up after perfect Sons debut

Dumbarton fans may have initially wondered what the centre-back was doing lurking on the edge of the six-yard box, but there was no complaints when he gave Sons the lead.

A few minutes later McAllister was presented with a golden chance but his shot lacked conviction and was easily gathered by Brennan.

Peterhead’s number nine then toe-poked the ball towards goal from the edge of the area and had Brennan scrambling, but his attempt flew wide.

There were opportunities for Sons to add a second through Layne and Crossan but both missed the target with shots from distance before Ryan Conroy came inches away from finding a late equaliser when his free-kick just crept by the post.

One goal turned out to be enough as Sons kept their second clean sheet in a row and ensured it was four points from their last two games as attentions now turn to a visit to Airdrieonians this Saturday.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport