Dumbarton were left to rue their defensive errors for the second week in a row as East Fife left the C&G Systems Stadium with all three points on Saturday.

Danny Denholm and Liam Watt had the Fifers two up on the half-hour mark, but Sons managed to fight back before the break and were level through Ryan McGeever and an own-goal from Craig Watson.

However, all of Dumbarton’s hard work was undone in the second-half as the away side raced into a two goal lead once again through Steven Boyd and Watt.

Dumbarton conceded after 27 seconds last week against Airdrie, and while they managed to hold out for longer on Saturday, the opening goal came after just eight minutes.

The warning signs were there in the first few moments as Anton Dowds headed over and Boyd curled wide, but lessons were not learned as Denholm confidently fired past the onrushing Connor Brennan.

There was very little to get the home fans excited on a cold day at the Rock and the afternoon went from bad to worse after half an hour when Watt slid in at the back post to double the visitor’s lead.

READ MORE: Jim Duffy insists Airdrie loss was deserved after slack defensive display

After not being in the game at all in the opening 30 minutes, Sons somehow took control for the remainder of the half and pulled one back through McGeever’s glancing header into the far corner.

The visitors were penned in and Sons made their pressure count and found the equalising goal seven minutes before the break.

PJ Crossan drove down the right and skipped by a challenge before drilling the ball across goal and forcing Watson to put the ball into his own net.

Sons were unfortunate not to be ahead at the end of the first-half as Chris Higgins had to put the ball over his own crossbar after Joe McKee’s low driven cross.

But Jim Duffy’s men couldn’t continue that momentum in the second period and instead put on a repeat of the opening half hour.

The second-half was barely 10 minutes old when Sons lost possession all too easily in the middle of the park and that allowed the visitors to regain their lead through Boyd as he forced the ball past Brennan at the second attempt after the Northern Irish stopper had saved the initial effort.

READ MORE: Defensive errors to blame as Sons slip up against Airdrie

And just 11 minutes later Sons would have to repeat their first-half heroics and come back from two down as Watt skipped by a couple of half-hearted challenges to fire past Brennan.

Isaac Layne was introduced as a substitute with 20 minutes to go and had a couple of chances in the closing stages – one of which was beaten away by keeper Jordan Hart and the other poked wide from close range.

Sons now host Falkirk at the C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday as they aim to get back to winning ways. Kick-off 3pm.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport