Dumbarton got their Scottish Cup campaign underway for the 2019/20 season on Saturday with a 3-1 third round victory over Forfar Athletic.

Adam Frizzell had Sons ahead in the opening period before Callum Tapping equalised for the Loons, but second-half goals from Ryan McGeever and Isaac Layne saw Jim Duffy’s side comfortably through to set up a fourth round tie away to Aberdeen.

And the win was without a trio of first-team regulars as Rico Quitongo and Joe McKee missed out through back injuries and on-loan Reghan Tumlity was not given permission to play by parent side Morton.

Jordan McMillan made his first start since the second league game of the season and Matthew Shiels came in at left-back with Stefan McCluskey replacing McKee.

READ MORE: Jim Duffy praises Dumbarton despite last-gasp Falkirk equaliser

Frizzell opened the scoring after nine minutes with his third goal in a Dumbarton jersey when his shot from the edge of the box took a deflection to give Marc McCallum no chance.

Connor Brennan set up a quick counter attack for Dumbarton shortly after as the Northern Irish shot-stopper’s kick found McCluskey in the final third with the forward managing to win a corner that was headed just wide by McGeever.

Dumbarton were the better side but were pegged back on 20 minutes when Tapping levelled.

With Sons’ midfield posted missing, former Dumbarton man Jordan Kirkpatrick ran forward and passed wide to Murray MacKintosh who crossed from the right, with the ball finding Tapping at the back post who superbly looped a shot into the far corner.

There was nearly an instant response, but Frizzell’s shot was beaten away by McCallum as the Kilmarnock loanee hunted for his fourth goal against Forfar this season.

The ‘magic of the cup’ was very much missing in the remainder of the first-half, and even in the early stages of the second 45.

READ MORE: Late penalty denies Dumbarton all three points at home to Falkirk

Layne had a quick turn and shot from the edge of the box that the goalkeeper held and Kirkpatrick sliced an effort over the crossbar but that was as exciting as it got until Sons took control in the final 20 minutes.

With regular set piece taker McKee missing, McCluskey was keen to show the talent he has from a dead ball situation and picked out McGeever who headed home his fourth goal of the season.

And Sons’ added a third goal of the afternoon with 11 minutes to go ensure they would have their name in the hat for round four when Brennan spotted a gap in the Loons defence and punted the ball forward for Layne who held off his man and finished well past the onrushing goalkeeper.

It was a successful day at the office for Dumbarton after their third home game in a row. They now travel to Broadwood this Saturday to face Clyde.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport