Dumbarton picked up their first three points on the road since August after they fought back from a goal down to win at Clyde at the weekend.

Chris Johnston had the hosts ahead on Saturday but Joe McKee netted his first goal in a Sons shirt to equalise before Isaac Layne notched his ninth goal of the season in the second-half to clinch the points.

McKee was a welcome return to the Dumbarton starting XI alongside Rico Quitongo who had also battled back from injury after missing last week’s Scottish Cup tie.

The duo replaced Matthew Shiels and PJ Crossan as Reghan Tumlity also came in at right-back after being unavailable last weekend.

READ MORE: Scottish Cup progress all that matters to boss Dufft as Sons see off Forfar

After a slow start to the game at a notoriously cold Broadwood, it was the Bully Wee who took the lead on seven minutes through a former Son.

Johnston’s shot from the edge of the area looked like it may have taken a deflection which was enough to beat Conor Brennan.

Not the start Dumbarton would have wanted, but the response was good and Adam Frizzell found himself in behind the Clyde defence but didn’t get a proper strike on the ball which allowed goalkeeper David Mitchell to collect.

However, 10 minutes after falling behind Sons were level when McKee drilled the ball underneath the keeper.

Clyde captain David Goodwillie perhaps should have had the hosts ahead for a second time but Brennan charged off his line to block the ball at the feet of the three-time Scotland cap.

Sons were patient in their play as Layne fired the ball over the bar from the edge of the box, but the striker wouldn’t miss his next opportunity.

The second-half was only a couple of minutes old when Layne touched the ball home at the back post after a terrific passing move from Dumbarton, with Tumlity’s teasing ball from the right being a perfect weight.

Clyde were dictating play but the Sons defence was solid with Ryan McGeever and Morgyn Neill standing out at the back and Brennan confident between the sticks.

READ MORE: Dumbarton ease into Scottish Cup fourth round with comfortable Forfar win

That allowed Dumbarton to have chances on the break with former Clyde player Stefan McCluskey having their best opportunity to add a third, but Mitchell tipped his shot wide when he really shouldn’t have had a chance of making the save.

The home side continued to search for an equaliser and had a host of set-pieces around the penalty box but the delivery was often lacking.

Substitute Crossan then had a chance to seal the game in the dying moments with Mitchell again making a block, however Sons were not made to pay for missed opportunities as they held out for the away win and a vital three points.

Dumbarton are back at the Rock this Saturday against Montrose. Kick-off 3pm.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport