Dumbarton’s three-game winning run, which started against Clyde two weeks ago, was brought to an end by the same side at Broadwood on Saturday in a disappointing 2-0 loss.

Second-half goals from the experienced duo of David Goodwillie and John Rankin was enough for the Bully Wee to move within four points of Dumbarton in the table.

Lewis Crawford and Isaac Layne came into the side for brothers Jai and Rico Quitongo, while Kyle Hutton was named in the squad for the first time since the beginning of February.

And, just as Jim Duffy was bringing back a key member of his midfield in Hutton, he would lose another.

Captain Stuart Carswell went over on his ankle in the opening minutes, and while he would play another quarter of an hour, he was later replaced by Jai Quitongo.

READ MORE: Dumbarton keep play-off hopes alive with dominant Forfar win

In the first 10 minutes Chris McStay smacked an effort off the post from 12 yards as Sons failed to clear a loose ball, and it was really a sign of what was to come in the first-half.

Conor Brennan turned Mark Lamont’s deflected effort around the post as Crawford picked up the first booking of the afternoon for a strong challenge on Ross Lyon.

At the other end, David Mitchell flapped at Ross Forbes’ corner and the Clyde goalkeeper would have been grateful to see the ball just out of Isaac Layne’s reach which allowed him to gather.

McStay then had a shot from the edge of the area easily held by Brennan before there was a similar outcome at the other end after Stefan McCluskey burst into the box, but the effort against his former side was tame.

The second-half was only four minutes old when Goodwillie nipped in to round Brennan and slot the ball into the net to give the hosts the lead.

The former Blackburn Rovers striker then looked to turn provider as he teed up Lamont, with Brennan gathering at the second attempt.

The Sons goalkeeper was called into action again, keeping out McStay for a third time, this time using his legs with Lamont then volleying off target from a promising position.

The introduction of Robert Jones and Hutton looked to be a positive one, as Jones immediately flicked the ball on for Quitongo who forced Mitchell into a strong one-handed save.

READ MORE: Stuart Carswell targetting play-offs after late Raith winner

Sons were pushing forward more and a couple of crosses looked to cause the hosts problems before they were hacked away.

Ross Forbes then curled a strike into Mitchell’s arms, and at the other end Crawford made a terrific challenge to keep his side in the game when McStay was about to pull the trigger.

Duffy’s side were pushing forward to little avail and Brennan made an unbelievable save to push Goodwillie’s effort over the bar after an incisive break.

But there was nothing the keeper could do to keep out Rankin’s shot on 89 minutes as he slammed the ball home to wrap up the points and bring Sons’ run to an end.

Sons remain seven points behind East Fife in fourth as they this week welcome title-chasing Falkirk to the C&G Systems Stadium on Saturday. Kick-off 3pm.

Read all the latest from Reporter Sport